exhaust, whats the best?

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ramprat
Guess I'll wait a while if it get's done at all, don't really want to dork around with the DP.

I've got a TYMAR intake system.

I seen a couple of 7.3 with just pipes on for an exhaust with the stock dp and they don't sound bad

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Originally posted by smokin_stroker00
I seen a couple of 7.3 with just pipes on for an exhaust with the stock dp and they don't sound bad

I drive one... never had problems with EGT's either

treefidy

Reaction score
well im getting the diamond cut 4 inch system put on monday, no muffler, no kitty, we'll see how she runs after that, i am having it dump out before the rear tire, not so sure if that's the best place or not but i have heard that you get the best sound when it drops out there. hopefully the new DP will free up some extra hp. ill let you guys know howit is. thanks for all of your responses,ill get back to you minday night.
TREEFIDY

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with dumping IN FRONT of the tire, is your tire and wheel turns BLACK from the soot.

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ford_Forgotton
I notice they show the system being 16ga steel. I have read ( but never heard first hand so take this with a grain of salt) that the 16ga systems are susceptible to sounding "tinny". Meaning the metal isnt thick enough to withstand vibration and give the exhaust a weird sound. The 14ga systems (being thicker metal) are supposed be not as prone to that.

Of course this could also have everything to do with clamps and fit/finish under the trucks too, so who knows. Like I said, I've never knowingly heard a 14ga -vs- a 16ga system, but it is something I'd sure like to know!

Glad to see this post is based purely on fact and not inuendo and hear-say...:rolleyes:
Just kidding:D

Actually all of the systems I have seen and heard(which is 4 different ones not including the one we sell) only one had the tinny sound and it seems to have come more from the design of the hangers or general fit of the product. Of which our system is exceptional in both of these regards. I will see if I can get Taxx to reply and give some insight though since I have not heard his truck since he installed our kit.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heh, thats why I made sure to add the "grain of salt" part :D

I see two advertisers on ebay always making mild snipes at each other about how "16ga systems are technically "larger" becasuse the diamter is measured on the OUTSIDE and theirs is THINNER so bigger hole (by like what? .0001" ) and the guy with the 14ga system isa always saying, watch out for "thinner" systems cause they dont last as long in harsh environments, and sounds bad, etc etc.

While they are both blowing things out of proportion, they are somewhat based in fact, even if those facts are virtually pointless. BUT! It wasnt the first time, or first place I had seen those comments either. So, either an "old wives tale" is very pervasive, or at some point in time, there WAS a problem.

Anywayz... Riddle me this Batman?

Will a Dual exhaust system fit on a truck that has the Firestone 2330 airbag kit. The 2330's fit INSIDE the frame, not outside like the other (7310? or something?) kit. Obviously the exhaust fits on the PASSENGER side, as the stock pipe runs there, but its the DRIVERS side Im worried about. There is ROOM, but one wrong bend and im in conflict zone.

Last edited:

Taxx

Reaction score
I don't think it sounds "tinny" at all. I hate to discuss sound like this, its like apples and oranges. I have some sound clips I just took I just need to edit and save them and get them up on the web. Let me do that know and you can be your own judge.....

be back in a few.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ford_Forgotton
The problem with dumping IN FRONT of the tire, is your tire and wheel turns BLACK from the soot.

Yes it can. I ran this way for about 2 years and disliked it. It's messy and worse, when you run mudder tires, the lugs in the tread actually made the exhaust exiting the tailpipe sound strange.

I gave up and installed a Dynomax race bullet and a tailpipe out the back. Much better.

Taxx

Reaction score
ok I am back and I have 3 clips.

Clip 1: Truck sitting and idling
idle

Clip 2: not as good of a clip. Its the truck coming drom down the street and slowing down immediately after passing the camera. You can really hear the turbo in this one.
down_street

clip 3: powerbraking, trying to get as much juice as possible without spinning the tires so you can hear the exhaust under load.
power_brake

Enjoy

treefidy

Reaction score
WELL those darn morons at 4 wheel parts didnt even order my exhaust! i paid for it WEEKS in advance, i showed up there monday mornin to have it installed "which was my appointment date" and they totally forgot! there are too many cus words that i could say about how i felt. i demanded my money back and have decided to buy the exhaust and do it myself with renof250, sooooooooo i know a lot of you have done mix and match exhaust's and some have bought after market ones, tell me guys, what do you have and what should i look for? please help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online