Exhaust upgrades?

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of Hypermax exhaust in people's sigs and I seen a thread about tubular headers, shorties and long tube but everybody is talking bad about the y-pipe. I need a Y-pipe for my 1969 F-100 swap and I have been looking but all I can find are used stockers. Does anyone make a performace y-pipe? I have a couple of flow tubes from a 5.0L Mustang that fits my stock manifolds and I'm sure that I could fab up a Y-pipe or make duals(but being a 4x4 a 2 into 1 would be easier). I just wanted to see if anyone makes a performance y-pipe. Thanks

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think dyno-max makes a complete exhaust system, everything from the y-pipe back for under 400 bucks shipped. Im pretty sure the y-pipe can be bought seperately, have to find the part number though. The tail pipe can be bought seperately so I dont see why you couldn't get the y pipe, and it is a bigger diameter too.

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Next question, I looked up a kit for my roll-back and a kit for my swap truck. The one for an 86 says " Not Cab-Chassis" which is what the roll-back is. The one for the 7.3L(out of a 91 E-350) says it will work with a cab/chassis. Then to take it a step farther I looked at the break-downs of both kits and guess what, the Y-pipes have different part numbers. Does anyone know what the difference between a 6.9L and a 7.3L Y-pipes are? Since the entire kit other then the y-pipes are the same I might just buy 2 kits and swap the 6.9 y-pipe to the 7.3 kit for the long chassis and use the rest of the 6.9 kit, which is for a short chassis, with the 7.3 y-pipe on the swapped truck. But again the question, are the 6.9 and 7.3L y-pipes different?

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some more insite... Jegs has the kit in single pieces so you can build your own kit or mix and match. The 7.3 y-pipe kit (3 pieces) will run around $165 and the 6.9 around $110. The 7.3 Y-pipe must be bigger in diameter b/c the y-pipe sections are more $ for them.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blocks are the same so I dont have any idea why they would be dif???

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the piece that connects between the y-pipe and the muffler is the same on both kits, also the piece that connects the pipe to the manifolds are the same so I am guessing the difference is the diameter of the tubing. Also if anyone is looking to buy this kit, I have done some research. The DynoMax kit is the COMPLETE exhaust system, manifold back. The HyperMax kit is just a "cat"-back. The Dynomax is a little more $$ but comes complete, the cheapest I found the Dynomax is $332, where the Hypermax kit is $285, both plus shipping.

The DynoMax kit is 4" from the muffler back to the tip hich is a polished stainless steel 5" piece.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin