Exhaust parts collected

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got all my exhaust parts sourced for my turbo install.

I used a 3" to 2 1/2" header adapter for the turbine elbow flange. Had to grind a little off the flange OD but nothing major. $20 (per set of 2)

Got a 2 1/2" to 3" bell from the flange to the downpipe. $16

The downpipe I had bent at a local muffler shop. It's 3 inch with a 35* bend opposite a 30* bend on a 13 1/2" center. Unfortunately it's not mandrel bent but I can always change it out later. It's a little long on the ends so I can cut it to fit. $20

3" 90* bend for the bottom of the downpipe. Probably have to cut a few degrees off it for a straight exit under the truck. $28:eek: (paid that for 3" stainless 90's a year ago)

3" to 4" bell to go from the elbow to the main exhaust pipe. $20

10' x 4" exhaust pipe. They had this one on the shelf at NAPA (truck center). lists for $7+ per foot but he let me have it for $5.22 a ft cause I'm a regular. $53

Napa part # 54387 4" over the axle tailpipe. $52.89 + $26 shipping. Not a stock item order only. $79

I get to assemble and weld it all myself. Going to tig it since my mig is in Virginia. I don't like stick welding .065 wall. I'll just have remove any and all aluminizing in the weld area. So grand total $236 in exhaust parts. Not too bad really as that's an in house price (all shipping included). If you add taxes it's right at $250.

Now I just need to make certain that I'm not lacking any other parts for the install and plan a day to do it.

Oh also I bought the crossover pipe from ATS as I didn't feel like messing with it. That and the grommets (I bought 2) for the turbo pedestal to the valley pan was around $80 including shipping. So really about $320

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
You must be a sanitary welder.I worked in the beverage industry (maintainence - pepsi-Lipton Tea) for 12 years.I have a friend who does
all of Ken's Salad dressings work.He is well known in the north east.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't consider myself a sanitary welder. In fact I got my nickname Dirtleg for a reason.LOL Seriously my tig welding skills are decent at best but I know that when metal is aluminized it screws up the tungsten of the tig pretty quick and that makes my welds ugly. So I'll just remove the problem before I start to avoid the frustration and aggravation I feel when my welds are ugly. (yes it hurts me personally when that happens:dunno )

I have welded sanitary 304 tubing however but it was for an exhaust. Very important to shield both sides of the weld with argon to prevent the weld from crystallizing when welding stainless. I wish I were well known for welding. Until then I'll have to keep doing automation projects.cookoo

Here's another idea, not exhaust but related. I am going to have to bend the dipstick tube for the transmission to clear my new exhaust piping. What do you think about using a 1/2" conduit bender to make the necessary bends?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
About the dipstick.Boss hog called people a dipstick for a reason. Heres my answer. I have always called it the dipstick tube from hell.

Attachments

• The dipstick from Hell 1.JPG
    The dipstick from Hell 1.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 12
  • The dipstick from hell 2.JPG
    The dipstick from hell 2.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 20

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Bill. I noticed a flared connection near the bottom of the dipstick tube. Is that a modified stock dipstick tube or something special that you fabbed up?