exhaust manifold cracked

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got this truck last week as per my prvious post and I found a bad exhaust leak on the driver side manifold it has a big old crack looks like a pain to remove has anyone changed one before? Anything I need to know or have to move before I start removing this thing? Any help would help thanks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
whoops!

I think your knuckles will thank you if you can pull the steering shaft off.
It can be done without removing it tho.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those a special bolts that are used to hold the manifolds tight. They kinda have flat cut threads and act like they have an interferiance fit in the head. Don't use just any old bolt from Home Depot. Getting the motor warm a few times and spraying some Aerokroil on the bolts might help getting them out without breaking off any. Do this soaking over several days when you shut down the motor for the day. Ebay has new manifolds up for sale now around $80.00 or $90.00. Just saw them again today. If you try to "find" a manifold in a wrecking yard only the truck manifolds will fit that side. The van motors use a differant manifold for the drivers side. Both trucks and vans use the same manifold for the pasenger side. Torque is 35 lbs using the special Metal prevailing bolts. Use anti-sieze in the threads.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill try and get a pic kinda hard to get at with a camera though the crack is behind the heat shield right above the flange to the pipe most the bolts dont look to bad to get at except the one in the vary back looks really close to the firewall and that ones a stud not a bolt let me me go take some pics real quick and ill post them in a minuet the truck is a 93 turbo model not sure if its any worse or easier on this model compared to others

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok heres some pics i just of the manifold crack and of the truck kinda sux that i have to pull that off but for what i got the truck for i guess i really cant complain

You must be registered for see images attach

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That sucks, nice looking truck though. I think I have a crack in my passenger side manifold but it doesn't sound or look like it leaks.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i almost didnt even go look at it cause i thought it was a 2wd and a N/A 7.3 but decided to go anyway then when i got there i saw it was 4wd and turbo charged which they never said so for 2 grand i couldn't say no

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
need to fix that for sure, i have saw worse, there is a guy that has a rollback close to me has a 7.3 idi and it has a passenger side manifold cracked in half and you could stick your finger up in it:eek:

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I just ordered some parts to day but I'm headed out of town tomarrow for work for a coupple weeks looks like so ill have to fix it when I get back was thinking of ordering a down pipe too but the one on there looks pretty big and there's no bends or pinched points it I think maybe some one already rplaced? What do the stock ones look like?

David94IDIT

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. My truck is a 94. That rear stud is very hard to get to. Once i got frustrated and banged on the firewall and created a little more room, it was real easy.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I was just here but on the pass side two days ago, found a used one for $35.

You must be registered for see images

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....was thinking of ordering a down pipe too but the one on there looks pretty big and there's no bends or pinched points it I think maybe some one already rplaced? What do the stock ones look like?
the factory downpipe looks like something the UPS forklift operators have run over a few times. I have been getting a few packages that bear evidence the forklift guys have been getting very bored this week.:eek:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i second the lubrication for a few days and also that the back bolt is a pain to get to but the main thing i can say is NO AIR TOOLS to remove the bolts and maybe this is obvious to some but i have seen it done, the pinging action will break the bolts and there is almost no way to drill and tap without removing the engine use a half in ratchet and dont yank just put constant pressure.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went threw this a month ago. crack was so big in the manifold that i could stick my finger in it. most of the bolts heads broke off and I had to drill out the bolts. keep soaking the bolts with a penitrating oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esandifer08