excessive smoke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have never seen an engine run very well when the gears are not factory timed correctly. You do know the cam DOT needs to line up with the crank DOT. then the Cam "Y" needs to line up with the injection pump gear "Y"... Even if you have instructions to time the gears differently these marks needs to be in the same area so to speak. If they are off one oe 2 teeth and you had instructions to do that so be it. Just don't have the DOT line up with the "Y" mark. Thats 180 degrees out of time. And it will run but horribly and smoke terrible too. Nobody is knocking what justin has made work and we will not suggest you bought some less than stellar stuff from him. It is an open free market. We will give advice of those that have been ripped off by ebay sellers as is what this forum is about. For a person to come here asking for help after being cheated really hurts the idi business world. Sorry I can't magically offer the help you need but for me timing the gears correctly is very important but Justin knows more about his products than I do. It just seems odd to do what you have tried to picture for this forum.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Yes new rd injectors.

I will try to attach pic of gear drawing.

When you say "strait up" does that have to do with the gears size ratios? If I turn my ip gear 360degrees what will that do?

See how that drawing shows FACTORY all lined STRAIGHT UP and down, that's what I'm referring to...timing marks aligned straight up like factory.

We are not worried about where the parts came from, it just helps us know as mentioned it's not a rattle can IP rebuild painted and out the door:rotflmao

Justin makes some baddass stuff and makes it well!

Now back to problem at hand,

Can you get video of this? so we can hear it and see what's going on? What Banks turbo do you have?

The more details you can provide the less questions we have to ask, thoroughness and attention to detail is whats best.

openroader

Reaction score
Indeed, ill see what I can do tmro about a video. And ya know.....even though there is no such thing as a magic fix, I can feel the magic just bouncin ideas off the experienced. Thanks a lot fellas, I'm all about my sixnine. I got good and intimate with it. Did the head gaskets twice just because I found some info about the felpros with the inserts that didn't give me the reassurance I needed for longevity. Everybody works and lives better with a mind at ease.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of boost numbers are you getting out of this setup? I wonder for this reason. My truck has an 80 cc moose junior. I have a banks sidewinder turbo. I max out boost at about 2500 rpm, heavy throttle, at about 10 psi. I have too much fuel for that setup already. If I had 90 cc of fuel, I would imagine smoke all the time.

I can't tell you much about the cam as I don't have one, but this is a proven cam design and the re grind does require the offset of the timing marks. Since the cam changes the profiles of the lobes and the timing events are changed, the cam has to be "degreed" so to say.

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of boost numbers are you getting out of this setup? I wonder for this reason. My truck has an 80 cc moose junior. I have a banks sidewinder turbo. I max out boost at about 2500 rpm, heavy throttle, at about 10 psi. I have too much fuel for that setup already. If I had 90 cc of fuel, I would imagine smoke all the time.

Moose junior's are 90cc pumps so you have the same fuel as he does.

openroader

Reaction score
Ok my people....it pains me to admit this but what is true shall now and forever reign supreme. My excessive smoke and no power issue came from a shop rag that was in the air filter blockin the turb inlet. Luckily I cought it before real damage occurred. Justin got a good laugh out of itand boy oh boy are we glad it it was just that. Human error.

Now that she's runnin right I feel a big difference in power. Before I felt like a borring bus driver but now I have my mean machine I was expecting. Thanks r and d for being there in this market of computers and powerstrokes.

Also thanks arundel diesel performance for keeping that old stanadyne timing meter around.

Peace and blessings to all!

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying a R&D cam shaft, which one did you go with and how much more power do you have?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok my people....it pains me to admit this but what is true shall now and forever reign supreme. My excessive smoke and no power issue came from a shop rag that was in the air filter blockin the turb inlet.

*guiltily stands up and joins the club*

I did this once too. For me, I had a paper towel stuffed into the airbox outlet so that it didn't drip oil all over my carport. Needless to say, I forgot to remove it when I reinstalled the airbox....
Driving to my friends house, I left a cloud of smoke like three hundred feet long when I hit a small hill. I figured out what it was halfway there and removed it when I got to his house. Felt so stupid :rolleyes:

openroader

Reaction score
I'm not so sure. I think he only has one, you should prolly contact r&d, the owners a very knowledgable guy. And he s right around your way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.