Excessive Concrete Highway Bounce

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said and I agree with the above if you’re trying to make a heavy suspension truck ride soft you’re not going to be happy but Bilstiens have probably done the best at least softening the re-bound – making it feel a little softer

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as a reasonably priced solution goes I would agree bilstein's are the best, but even at that are very limited in their effectiveness.

As a little comic relief I once worked on country singer Alan Jackson's Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon they already had coil springs/bilstein 4600s in the rear from the factory, and he was such a softy he had an over 500 lb steel plate laid under a bed mat in the bed of the truck for a smoother ride . Should make all if us feel proud our trucks are trucks hahah

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As a little comic relief I once worked on country singer Alan Jackson's Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon they already had coil springs/bilstein 4600s in the rear from the factory, and he was such a softy he had an over 500 lb steel plate laid under a bed mat in the bed of the truck for a smoother ride .
Maybe he should have just bought himself a Mercury?:angel:

SOCAL_Redneck

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for the long delay, went to FL on vacation with the family. Then got into some long weeks of OT at work and wasn't able to do much with my truck.

Anyways, I finally got the Tachometer sensor installed and instantly noticed a big change in my truck. No more hunting, hard shifts and what seems like better throttle response. :Thumbs Up Thanks for the advice Slicknik you hit the problem right on the nose.

As for the bounce, I haven't dealt with relieving the overall cause but I do have a list of upcoming parts that I feel will get her up to par and ultimately eliminate the excessive bounce. I may look into the dual shocks up front, but that might be later down the road (when the wife's not paying too much attention to how much I'm spending on this Ol' gal LOL)

• New tires (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 37x12.50 R16.5LT)
  • New body mounts (not doing a body lift just need new ones, every once in a while when I hit a speed bump or pothole too fast I can feel the floor pan press up from what I assume is from the now stiffer front leaf)
  • New tie rods & ball joints
What do you guys think?

Oh and had to deal with a couple down weeks, due to overheating from a cracked heater core, bad thermostat, bad radiator cap and cracked overfill tank :idiot:. As well as both batteries and starter dying (all old and untouched from previous owner)

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SOCAL_Redneck glad it worked , you shouldn't have any flashing OD light now,

Id get rid of those 16.5 eventually hard to find tires for them in 10 ply

Having 12.5 wide doesn't help lol for comfort ,

My next suggestions would be to;

Clean battery post and cables
LOAD test batteries
Swap fan clutch
Upper/lower rad hoses
OEM rad replacement , (not China)
New Rad cap
New Heater core
New Heater core hoses

Then do;

Leak down test
FireWire LED headlights bulbs

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll with the other suggestions of shocks being part of the issue. Also the length with the lack of weight on the rear.

A bit apples to oranges, but I’m getting something similar in my 11 F-150. I, at 78,000 on the factory shocks. It’s also a regular cab long (8ft) bed 2wd. It’s about 12 feet between axles, and most of my weight is on the front axle. I get more bounce from the rear when empty. Put a few hundred pounds in the bed and it goes away. In comparison, I can ride in Dads 16 supercrew, which is about the same length, but with the larger cab, it shifts more weight to the rear. We can travel the same road, and I have much more bounce than his truck. I’m going to replace the shocks and see if that helps.

SOCAL_Redneck

Reaction score
@Slicknik Yes, I am defiantly aiming to get away from the 16.5, but the ones I have are clean and I won't be upset if they get bashed on a rock in the trails.
Thank you for the suggestions on the other issues I had mentioned, but I have already taken care of them. New batteries, starter, rad cap, heater core, hoses all around. Running better than the day I bought it, now working down the list of worn undercarriage parts. Wish me luck and I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SOCAL_Redneck , ya man good luck!

I have spare 16.5 X12.5 Alcoa rep 6 hole wheels 4 in total , was trying to find used military tires to put on them.

Go through and grease your zerk fittings on the drive shaft u-joints,ball joints and tie rods its cheap insurance

How's your tensioner looking ?
Fl-1995 oil filter upgrade
Vacuum booster may need to be replaced
SS brake lines
Cryogenic frozen rotors
Wagner pads
Rear shoes and drums

Sand bags for the bed lol
or you could do what racers do and bolt lead bars to your frame in the back,

I'm testing out some firewire LED headlights RT now , 1000 times better and no ballast , direct replacement

Got them from cpaddict.com, they are out of texas