Excess black smoke

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a rebuilt injection pump on my truck and after I put it back on the road I noticed at WOT there was a little black haze. After about 4000 km more on pump it is starting to really blow black when I push it at all. Any ideas? Maybe injectors?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe who built accidently turned it up on you maybe try an turn it down a flat. I would call and ask if they did first. Also maybe now that its working properly you have an injector sticking i've heard of that but yet to expierance it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the behavior you describe is not the same as when you first installed it, my inclination is that your advance piston is sticking, and that your unable to retard your timing as your speed increases. This can result in high EGT's, burned up glow plugs, and excess fuel consumption. All this could be confirmed with a timing meter. I'd dose heavily with Howe's Diesel Treat and hope for the best.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a certain kind of timing meter that I use for that? I've never used a timing meter before so have no knowledge of it.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Is there a certain kind of timing meter that I use for that? I've never used a timing meter before so have no knowledge of it.

Any diesel timing meter will work for that. If you're interested in having one, the ferret adapter is a simple option that's not overly ******* the pocket book. But you will also need to have a timing light that does advance in order to use it.
Another option is to rent a Kent Moore meter from Gary. (icanfixall)

Basically you need to take timing readings at a range of RPM's a few times, then compare notes. If you're not getting the same timing reading at the same RPM points, then you have a problem with your advance piston.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all posted above, but how is your air filter? Still pretty clean? A restricted filter will produce all kinds of smoke.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all posted above, but how is your air filter? Still pretty clean? A restricted filter will produce all kinds of smoke.

I will check the air filter today, I was thinking about that before bed last night. And I may know someone with a timing meter and light (hopefully)

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
You could have set the static timing too far advanced also, you could try turning the pump back towards the drivers side of the truck a little bit. Not sure if you already mentioned that, didn't have time to read the entire post

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I always start with the simple thing ;Really

My filter is a real dirt hog. I have to change the dumb thing about every 8,000 miles :rolleyes:

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There must have been something that stuck for the high idle (maybe solenoid?) cause it is back to normal, still trying to track a timing meter &light tho

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is relevant. I think It probably is a factor. But I found out today that for at least the last 10 years...

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the little vertical lever on the drivers side of pump when the truck off or on I pulled the throttle wide open and lever did not seem like it was going all the way in. And when the truck was at idle i pushed it in with a screw driver and the truck sounded like it got quieter or bogged down and started blowing a lot of blue smoke.. :S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online