Ex Wife- my LONG term build

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's in good shape for the amount of years it was sitting. You don't see those drop bumpers often.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be cool to find a deep drop bumper in the junkyard for my truck but like with everything else i hope to find in the junkyard its like looking for a needle in a hay stack

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pictures of your red truck still make the hairs on on my neck stand up. Glad you you made it.

Regarding the 300 RPM drop for the overdrive, keep in mind the DN unit can't force the engine RPM below the torque converter stall speed, so slip will eat up some of the RPM drop. From what I remember, most of those auxiliary overdrive units had a ratio of only about 20%, which is meant to be used as a gear splitter. Most OD automatics are around 30%, give or take.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Regarding the 300 RPM drop for the overdrive, keep in mind the DN unit can't force the engine RPM below the torque converter stall speed, so slip will eat up some of the RPM drop
This makes sense. It sounded strange to me since I have no experience with the aftermarket units at all. This is the first one that I've seen. From what little research I've done on them, the gear ratio is supposed to be .80:1. From what I can remember, there was two different ratios for the ZF5. .76 and .74 (?). I was going off of that. I hadn't figured in the slippage of the C6.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
This makes sense. It sounded strange to me since I have no experience with the aftermarket units at all. This is the first one that I've seen. From what little research I've done on them, the gear ratio is supposed to be .80:1. From what I can remember, there was two different ratios for the ZF5. .76 and .74 (?). I was going off of that. I hadn't figured in the slippage of the C6.
I believe the wide ratio were .71 and close ratio of all my zfs are .77. that is a damn good find on that truck though!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A couple more bonuses. It already has a Nippendenso style starter on it. It's also a B block although I didn't take a picture of the lower dipstick area. I can get one soon if it's really requested.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After the experience of the last treasure truck being slammed into my back bumper and costing me a perfect Brick Nose front bumper, I was a little leery about trying to flat tow this one back. I wanted to check the brake action first. When I stepped on the brake pedal, it went to the floor so I knew that it was trailer time. I'm pretty sure that I found the reason why it did. Judging by the rust and wrinkled pain on the brake booster, I'm pretty sure that the master cylinder leaked. I had planned to go through the brakes since she's been sitting for so long. I had eventually wanted to put hydroboost brakes on this. Now I have to decide which way to go here. I'd like to go ahead with the hydroboost since even the master cylinder is bad.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the experience of the last treasure truck being slammed into my back bumper and costing me a perfect Brick Nose front bumper, I was a little leery about trying to flat tow this one back. I wanted to check the brake action first. When I stepped on the brake pedal, it went to the floor so I knew that it was trailer time. I'm pretty sure that I found the reason why it did. Judging by the rust and wrinkled pain on the brake booster, I'm pretty sure that the master cylinder leaked. I had planned to go through the brakes since she's been sitting for so long. I had eventually wanted to put hydroboost brakes on this. Now I have to decide which way to go here. I'd like to go ahead with the hydroboost since even the master cylinder is bad.

If this is going to be your dream build to enjoy, do everything the best you can or at least can save for and afford.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk