ether

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
Another really dumb 2 part question, when the saying" once on ether, always on ether" is applied, why does the diesel rely on it and is it possible to get it off the bottle? Not my truck, its my buddy eds.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ether habits are created by owners who won't fix the root problem requiring it. If they don't, they usually end up fixing a whole lot more using ether a lot. You make it sound like trucks with an "ether habit" will sneak out on their own and night to rob people so they can support their habit ( : < ).

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Total nonsense...other than not fixing what's causing the need for ether...like glow plugs!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Too much ether or prolonged use can make your gps look like a ****-head's teeth -Drool
So I guess that if you had 'some' gp action going on, the ether might blow the tips off and cause you to have to use it every time?

Just say no! I have often resorted to plugging in the block heater, even in summertime, when my gps aren't cutting it. (Even on my old thin-block 6.9, which I made sure had its heater properly installed in the 11 o'clock position) 45 mins on the 115V is better than a couple nights of fishing out gp pieces, or a couple weeks wait getting your heads revalved. My $.02.

Then again, I know some have used ether for years with no serious damage, but why take the chance?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
That's a good video Jason! It's amazing how much force is applied and the resulted block crushing outcome!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Nice vid!

I must admit that my truck was an ether ****** for a few months one winter... cured it by following the good advice on here and replacing all my glow plugs.

You have to be adamant about disconnecting the power to the glow plug harness and only use a half second squirt each time. I still carry an 'emergency' can for those times when you find yourself 100 miles from nowhere with problems and cannot risk the batteries getting run down.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can rebuild that block, just take a nickel rod and weld up those places, then re-machine it and your good to go.
and is it just me or does that guy in the vid look like the cop from super troopers?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if that guy ever posted on a forum, asking if anyone could identify the knock in his engine. Must have sounded like rail cars going over the rail joints. Clickty clickty click, or more like a jack hammer, Geez, shoulda turned up my hearing aid.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the "addiction" being mainly people who decide not to repair the underlying problem. I've been told there is nothing wrong with using ether so long as its used sparingly, and you make sure there is no power to the glow plugs. I've read of people have gone to the lengths of making an ether injection setup to start their trucks. Depending on what else is up with Ed's motor, he might not have done much or anything for damage. I'd see if he has checked/replaced his glow plugs and I'd also get him to look at the glow plug controller as well before looking for another motor.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Saying a mechanical device can become addicted to something like a starting aid is nonsense. I am not flaming you or being ******* you, I am just saying that it's total BS.

My truck was started on ether for over a year. Once I managed to get off my hind end and fix my glow plug system, the truck started EVERY time without ether after that.

It starts in -30 weather without ANY starting aids whatsoever since then too.

Only put Motorcraft/Beru plugs in there though....ask me how I know.

Black dawg

Reaction score
My regular cab truck has been an ether addict for almost 15 years. Compression is 395-425. This truck starts very poorly on glow plugs, but starts like brand new on the juice. The truck has ?50k (and I know it isnt 150 or 250) on the original fuel system. I am betting a set of injectors would help the starting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online