Enterprise update

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,went by this week and picked up the heads from the new used engine that is going back in and found some stuff that didn't look good....other than walking in and seeing them impact out the head bolts!!!!YIKES :backoff Well,they showed me the injectors and one had a blown out copper washer.The lower half of the injector past the threads was rainbow colored from the heat and blackened.You could see the path where the exhaust went past the washer.Also,one injector had major rust scale just below the threads but north of the copper gasket.Looked at one pair of rockers and the valve end of one was VERY worn.Not long and that cylinder was gonna have real problems.The Cylinders all looked Top notch.Smooth.Whoo hoo.Cylinders had a good coating of even soot so there was no water intrusion....Again WHOO HOOO.Heads looked pretty good.No rust or noticable water intrusion or damage.I did notice thought that the pistons don't look like any IDI pistons I have ever seen.The fire slot is square and shallow compared to white lightnings.Does this mean I have a 6.9L-A engine?If so,I might have to baby this thing and make sure I don't blow up a land mark Ford engine.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with useing an impact to remove head bolts? As long as they are torqued with a torque wrench or torque angle meter when installed it makes no difference how they are removed.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
The sudden shock of losing all hold down pressure on a spacific location causes the heads to warp.Which is a bad thing.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying thats not true, but in all my years of wrenchin, I allways used an impact to remove heads and never had any issues with heads warping. Everyone I have ever worked with does the same thing. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just wondered what you reason for not useing an impact was.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Just that slim chance that really gets me worried.Wouldn't be so bad to warp a old 2.3L or 351W head since they are a time a dozen.But our old IDIs are getting hard to find and ain't being made anymore other than the overseas stuff which ain't available in every parts store.Gonna reinstall the heads when they get done from the rebuilders.Not that I don't trust these guys(Trust them more than 90% of the other shops around here!) but it is just one of those things I rather do myself even if I am paying them for everything else.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There IS an un-torque sequence for the IDI heads...you can't simply pull each bolt out one at a time. IIRC, the sequence is to turn them 1/4 turn at a time, following the torque pattern in reverse. When I did mine, I followed the 1/4 turn method until they all could easily be turned by hand.

If you don't, you run the risk of the head warping or cracking. I'm with Freight; I would be REAL unhappy if I caught someone untorquing the head bolts on my engine with an impact gun.

Freight, what year's the engine? Do you have the block ID number? FWIW, the "B" engine started at block number 6.9D U2U 059209. Take a look at the picture below, to see one of the pistons in my engine (which is an A engine). Dont' mind the pockmarks all over the place :rolleyes: I think either my uncle or his step-father dropped a glow plug tip in there or somethin'...

You must be registered for see images attach

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Yea,that is why I want to reinstall the heads......I retract my last statement.I don't trust them to do this.But then again I wouldn't trust MEL to install a set of heads for me.....sorry Mel but something this important I would rather trust only to myself....that way I know 100% exactly what it is and can't blame anyone else.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
That's exactlly why I do all my own wrenching.
I'm sweating getting tires put on my new Alcoa wheels. When I had new tires put on my chrome steel wheels last fall, the tire monkey ran the impact wrench all over the center caps and dinged them on EVERY lug nut! They're rusting now.

Yo Warden, When looking at that pix, I chuckled. Rags covering all the coolant passages? Then, nothing covering the valley/lifter bores??? :confused:

Just bustin on ya a bit! ;p

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
Yo Warden, When looking at that pix, I chuckled. Rags covering all the coolant passages? Then, nothing covering the valley/lifter bores??? :confused:

Just bustin on ya a bit! ;p
LOL

There was a reason for that. I didn't want PB Blaster and diesel fuel (my two cleaning agents) getting into the cooling system, but was trying to clean out as much of the block as I could, inside and out. I also had the front cover off, and there was no way to keep the stuff from getting into the oil pan, so I figured I may as well let the stuff in the valley pan go into the oil pan.

I had the oil drained, and I poured some cheap-o 10W-30 oil into the crankcase to flush out the oil pan before I put in the Delo prior to starting the engine up. Also, I had a plastic sheet covering the entire engine when I wasn't working on it, so debris falling in wasn't a concern.

:cool

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cast iron mites wont take up residence in oiled areas only in the water jackets, good job plugging the water jackets.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Well,picked up the heads today and dropped them off.Asked if I could torque the heads down myself but they said nope,insurance won't let me work on my truck in their shop....dang insurance companies.Oh well,I trust them......but this is one items I would trust myself even more to do!They said they will get back to work on the engine Friday.They want to get this PITA POS Chevy Tracker out of their shop.The **** has been in their shop longer than the E and they can't figure out what is wrong with it.....other than it is a Bow tie!

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Well,Hopefully when I go by today they will have the heads on or atleast the deck cleaned and ready for the heads.But I will give you all an update when I get home.Also,be expecting a photo of the truck in the next couple weeks with my own version of Lake pipes.....Hee hee hee,Redneck+Diesel truck+liking of Odd things=To be announced!It ain't like nothing you have ever seen trust me.....