engine rebuild

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
From my understanding the bronze guides are best. My 7.3idi is in the machine shop now and my machinist told me he installs bronze guides. I just asked him what kind he does figuring he did the iron ones. Now I dont know if there is a difference between "manganize (spelling) bronze guides" and Bronze guides. Hopefully someone can give better info on the benefits and if there are differences.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I talked to PEP about their valve guides........ they said the Manganese Bronze guides will last "a lifetime" but they require special tools to ream/hone after installation. Not all machine shops (even really good ones) have this equipment. The MB guides also "transfer more heat" to the valves. The tech guy didn't know if that translated into a reduction in valve life or increased wear on the valve stem. Their Harded Cast Iron guides are "certainly an upgrade" from stock, and they transfer less heat to the valves than the MB guides.

If my machine shop had the ability to properly machine the MB guides I would have used them. They couldn't so I went with the hardend iron.

Heath

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath,
That "heat transfer" sounds backwards. The valve seat and guide cool the valve. Unless they were talking about a friction thing and were confused :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't ask the guy. The quotes are from their tech fella during our conversation. Not sure why the MB would transfer more heat to the valves, but that was a point he made specifically when I asked about down sides to using the MB guides.

Heath

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there less parasitic loss with a T-19 over a ZF-5?

I want better mileage, I know the 5 would be better probably. But what about a over under brownie with the 19? Just dreaming out loud. I got 17mpg highway with the T-19 when the old engine was running... 6200lbs according to the dump scale, at that time probably 6500 with camping gear.

Also, what do you guys use if anything to grease up the slides where the knuckle and caliper meet on front end? Silicon brake lube?

Still haven't gotten the block or heads to a machine shop, hoping to this week or next...

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory, a 5 speed would have slightly more loss due to more gear messes, but I'm sure it's so miniscule to be unnoticeable. The brownie box would for sure have more loss than a T-19 or ZF (more inertia, gear mess loss, bearing loss, etc) but probably not enough to notice.

You can get brake caliper grease at the parts store. I think it is some sort of silicone but not sure.