Engine Oil Changes

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our engines have very wide clearances and very large bearings. Roller lifters mean no appreciable wear as long as you have some oil in there.

The only problem comes with NOT changing the oil - With the wide clearances comes lots of crud into the oil. If not flushed out, that crud will build up in places and cause sludging.

Put some decent thick oil in it(15W40) and change it every 2500-3000 miles. Simple as that and you won't have any oiling-related issues.

I use Mobil Delvac 15W40 in my engines - it's cheap and decent. Never seen an oiling-related issue, period, in the motors I've run.

Heck, even the one motor with the snapped connecting rod? The bearings still had a nice film of oil on them and turned freely, even though it had sat for a full year and a half!
(So much for 'dry starts'... when the oil film lasts for over a year...)

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79jasper I never said the sulfur was the issue, I said the low sulfur fuel was an issue as an example of what we must deal with relative to EPA requirements, please read before you add to a thread to keep it on topic. Meanwhile I will research the removed additives that matter with our older engines to address some of the comments by our fellow diesel owners.
One last thought, changing oil is not so dependent on mileage as some think, the over the road truck owners use oil analysis services and run very long mileages.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tractor Supply 15w-40, Chevron 15w-40, Mobil, Shell T2 or Rotella...it’s all good oil.

Additive packages have changed a lot over the last 35 years since the first Ford IDI Diesel pick-up hit the roads.
It all does the job fine unless there is irrefutable proof out there that I haven’t seen yet proving otherwise.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the Walmart store brand 15W40? If that's acceptable for our old engines, it would be hard to beat for cheap and available.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the Walmart store brand 15W40? If that's acceptable for our old engines, it would be hard to beat for cheap and available.

I don't know particularly but the general consensus has been that the Walmart supertech oil is an ok oil from what I've read. Not great, but ok. I wouldn't be scared of it personally.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know it's a completely different animal, but I used to run SuperTech gasoline oil in my gas engines for years with no issues from it. I'd bet that the diesel oil would be ok too.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I legit just copy and paste this from oil thread to oil thread

Its not about what brand oil you run, its about changing the oil when it is due/needed. Using one brand vs another is not a big deal.

Ive owned a lot of cars/trucks and I am on a lot of forums, I have NEVER once seen someone say "If only I ran xxxx oil, My vehicle would still be running today"

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the super tech oil in my old peterbilt. It's a very stout oil.especially for the price. I sent in samples the add pack is very similiar to Delvac. Use it with confidence.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I legit just copy and paste this from oil thread to oil thread

Its not about what brand oil you run, its about changing the oil when it is due/needed. Using one brand vs another is not a big deal.

Ive owned a lot of cars/trucks and I am on a lot of forums, I have NEVER once seen someone say "If only I ran xxxx oil, My vehicle would still be running today"
Exactly. OTOH, I have had a perfectly fine engine throw a few rods after using zmax additive. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll chin in as a noob on diesels my engine sticker n original first owner Permanente marker says oil is 15w40 change interval is 3 to 5 k miles rotella as well I just use Walmart rotella my wife gets a discount= no taxes n I have them set in a bottle of mmo. I only it because I knew a guy there as well that have a 6.9 n 7.3 so when he is working I'll take it there instead of trying to find time in the in-laws shop n off work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online