Engine Oil Changes

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where and what engine oil do we use now. Delo 400le no longer available, they are pushing 400sde which will not provide what we need for older diesels. Oh I forgot what price do we pay for what these engines need?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remind me what our older diesel engines need in the engine oil?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't lose any sleep over it. I've run Delvac and Rotella. I'll be picking up some cheapo farm and fleet special in 15w40 for my next change. Truthfully the cheap house brand stuff might be better for these old ones anyway, they aren't usually made to the new specs. I can't remember how many specs have come out since these trucks were made but aren't we on CK now maybe? I know last time I looked the cheap stuff was an older spec, but still a newer spec than our engines call for.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a pic from my 1984 Owner Guide Supplement 6.9 Diesel engine factory booklet that came with my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic of another page showing more specific info.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where and what engine oil do we use now. Delo 400le no longer available, they are pushing 400sde which will not provide what we need for older diesels. Oh I forgot what price do we pay for what these engines need?

That was a huge blow there. I ran the Delo 400le in everything. Trucks, cars, bikes.

I ran Delvac 1300 in my truck this last oil change. No opinion of it yet.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Frstdiesel I appreciate the pictures, especially since my owners manual is in shreds from age/neglect.

https://www.ruralking.com/oil-rural-king-15w40-5-gallon

This oil meets spec CJ-4/SM, which was the last standard before our switch to CK-4. Our trucks as per above call for CC or CD which according to API specifications was phased out around 1991/1994 (https://www.api.org/products-and-se...ations/oil-categories#tab_diesel-c-categories)

Better, more expensive oils are out there, but according to the required specifications the cheapo store brand stuff EXCEEDS the required spec for our engines.

I'm certainly not telling you not to buy the "good" stuff, but I finally had time to actually look at the spec requirements so I wanted to elaborate on my previous post. As for me, I'll stick with cheapo stuff at $40/5gal instead of the good stuff at $65-70/5gal.

That being said, Mobil has been running $35 off of dino 15w40 5gal pails so that makes it about $30 plus tax at my local farm supply store so look around if you want to save a nickel or two!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some valvoline that meets Ford spec xxxxx.look for the Ford spec on the bottle. Iirc the 15w40 is not affected by the additive rules. Only 30 and down.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems some of our diesel owners are not aware that the additives have changed or removed as newer diesels have different internals and do not need these additives, or had little/none of the emissions requirements.
The cheapo oils, who knows what they have or don't have and the CK-4 spec only applies to newer engines. Many older diesel owners think the newer oils are OK as stated on the jug. WRONG
An example even gas engines have changed-- the flat tappet lifters are gone replaced with roller lifters--the zinc additive prevented camshaft lobe issues.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems some of our diesel owners are not aware that the additives have changed or removed as newer diesels have different internals and do not need these additives, or had little/none of the emissions requirements.
The cheapo oils, who knows what they have or don't have and the CK-4 spec only applies to newer engines. Many older diesel owners think the newer oils are OK as stated on the jug. WRONG
An example even gas engines have changed-- the flat tappet lifters are gone replaced with roller lifters--the zinc additive prevented camshaft lobe issues.

Can you elaborate any more? We know we are ok with the camshaft because our lifters are roller. What else is different in our engines that would require a special oil?

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prior oils had additives that were better for our older engines --not shure of names--these additives affect the emissions in newer engines.
Another example most of us know the low sulfur fuels are a problem for older diesel engines, just like e10 gas is a problem for carb engines. Leave it to the EPA to decide what is good for us.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But the sulphur doesn't have anything to do with it. It's the removal process that coincidentally lowers lubricity.
Ford actually came out and said the ck4 is backwards compatible......
The newer engines require better oil because of the addition of the emissions equipment. More fuel dilution, as well as pretty high carbon/soot content as a result of the egr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online