Engine noise

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it is alive again, after 10 k on my rebuild I had developed a VERY loud piston slap. I swore it sounded like a wrist pin, it wasn't. Number one piston shrunk and that hole had 12 thou clearance. Rattled like hell when the engine cooled down after a hard pull.
Tore it down, new .020 Mahle pistons and they are the .010 shorter ones, .0055 clearance and all is quiet.
My advice dont reuse old pistons if the bore clearance is anywhere near max spec of .008, oh well live and learn
But while in there I got some studs from arp and put a bigger wheel in the turbo. The studs are not as high strength as their head studs but much better than factory bolts.
The shop I got the turbo parts from said the IDI turbo, factory and ats wastegated , is a TO4H, the compressor side I got is a super 60 trim.
It definately makes more boost low and with the fuel turned up some more has even better power than before, a lot less blowby, can't imagine why that would be.
Here are some pics, the service truck my buddy uses at work made removal and install nice. also the check ball holding mod I do, sorry for the blur. I can detail for later. and the pretty studs, 7 inches long from arp. The intake hat that I couldnt get a good pic of till now. enjoy

Attachments

• rail mods 075.jpg
    rail mods 075.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 28
  • rail mods 068.jpg
    rail mods 068.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 29
  • rail mods 071.jpg
    rail mods 071.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 16
  • rail mods 064.jpg
    rail mods 064.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 24
  • rail mods 084.jpg
    rail mods 084.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 31
  • rail mods 087.jpg
    rail mods 087.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 22

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice buildup Russ. When you stated the ARP studs are not a strong as their studs what did you mean? You seem to be able to completely assemble the motor right down to the turbo and install it. I leave the fuel system and turbo off till I have the motor in the truck. The sidewinder sits back farhter than what you have. Are you picking up the pyro signal from the drivers side exhaust manifold? Is the piston height of all the pistons at .007? Anyway. Looks like you did it right. Many happy miles to you...;Sweet

rubberfish

Reaction score
the service truck my buddy uses at work made removal and install nice.
I can see how having a piece of equipment like that
in the driveway could come in handy for a motor re-re. ;Sweet
Glad you got your truck going again. :thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall, The studs they sold me are not quite the same as the head studs they sell, since they dont have a IDI 7.3 kit,I went by your testing and figured that 50k extra strength on the heads was better than stock or kens that are having problems.
I have a one inch body lift that makes it go in a little easier, still tight though. The protrusion is at .010 ,012 thou, my daughter snapped that one on the way up, wish they were at 7, now with the bigger wheel on the turbo I get 10 lbs pretty quick and with a half turn on the fuel the egt is 1k which I have never seen empty before.
pyro is in the driver manifold

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I continue to be impressed by the quality of the work I see here and the guys like you who do their own rebuilds with such confidence. ;Sweet Truely an inspiration to all of us. :hail

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Amen to that Mel... I personally don't trust others to do what I want. Although I'm impressed when I get what I ask for too. I can remember years ago when you asked for something you got it without any excuses... How times have changed. I guess the "kids" have no idea the customer is always right or they go elswhere to get what they want. That would be me...:rolleyes:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks mel, there are some head slices on the way to you and a fragged turbo wheel from a dropped exh valve engine from the local boneyard, . Good eye candy .
Dusted off a nissan sports car this morning on the way to work, ;Sweet 11 psi and 1100 on the pyro, He THOUGHT he could pass a cc on the right. :rotflmao
I think his car has a little black fog stain on it now.LOL
I love my truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ... Diesels are made for giving ricers a soot bath....:D When I'm out there I freely give em out. No waiting in line either...;Sweet

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels are made for giving ricers a soot bath.... When I'm out there I freely give em out.

Heh heh....I ride my bike to work and back, but I respect traffic. Nothing ticks me off more than bike riders who are pushing their luck...

This morning, I gave a group of 50-something's in way-too-tight spandex riding three across on a one lane street a big taste of the diesel. For some reason after I had to go into the other lane to get by them, I felt a strong urge to accelerate hard for the next 1000ft....!!

I'm almost afraid to put the turbo on for fear I might lose the ability to make smoke on demand.

Zigg :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online