Engine miss 7.3 IDI

motoboy549

Reaction score
Ok first off this is my first post and this is because this is my first diesel. Its a 91 F250 zf5 with a transfer case (4x4) n/a engine. I bought it outta some guys yard for 400 bucks. I dunno how long it had been sittin but the plates expired in 06 so imma assume a good while. well i coast started it due to havin dead batts and wouldnt you know it it fired up. Drove it home which was an amazing 2 miles. I hav put new batts and a dimmer switch (didnt hav lights) Ok now to the problem with the miss. Its a constant miss but i dunno how to figure wat cylinder and possible problems. I started it and let it warm up, then I sprayed the manifolds with water to see if there was any cylinder not hot enuff to make it steam directly off. didnt work all of em steamed.. By listening to it i tink its on the pass side. I went and bought an injector and pulled a couple one had a shine to it so i put it back next one was pretty black n crappy lookin. I replaced it it seems to run better (prolly in my head) but still has a miss... Summini noticed after reassembly is the fact that the small "pin" in the center of the injector was pulled back closely to the "face" of the injector and the shiny one that i pulled then put back in the truck was sticking out alot further. would a miss come from an inject bn stuck open? because if it aint the inject imma start lookin at the valvetrain. Ill get some pix up asap

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. An injector can cause a miss. Start the motor. Then loosen but don't remove the lines feeding fuel to each injector one at a time and listen. When you hear the problem cylinder the sound wont change. Then its determining why that cylinder is missing. As you loosen the lines retighen them and just move to the next injector. It will leak some fuel but it wont make a big mess. Just crack open the lines and it will be fine.

motoboy549

Reaction score
it misses at idle under load and everywhere n between. but its harder to catch wen its revved up to like 3k but its still missin

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it misses at idle under load and everywhere n between. but its harder to catch wen its revved up to like 3k but its still missin

it would be worth the money to change the fuel filter, return lines and get a good set of BB injectors then it should run good if the pump is in good shape, changing one injector at a time is cheaper but its going to get comfusing with servicing along with uneven engine ware

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the injector test then if that does not help. pop the valve covers and look for bad or burnt valve springs.

The injector test will tell you which cylinder it is.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your talking about their stage one injectors it will 99% make ur truck run like crap,
i belive type 4 has a good deal on matched BBs and if ur looking for performance get ahold of angem (mel) he sells the moose pumps, he has moose mister injectors that are supposed to be good

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Before you buy anything, take your new fuel filter back off and drain it. Then fill it completely with your favorite fuel conditioner--I like Stanadyne. Now start it and run it. If you have issues which aren't mechanical this will clean them up. I've seen stuck injectors loosen back up this way.

motoboy549

Reaction score
gotter did. i cracked the injects and front cylinder on the pass side didnt do a thing. I replaced the inject and shes up n runnin... Thanks for for any and all input put forth in my problem.
I cant complain a whole lot so far i only hav like 600 in the truck and runs like a champ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online