Engine install revisited

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, the fact that it moves with the bolts broken makes me wonder if you got all the junk out of the center section. There is a bunch of plastic and metal rings in there. Are you sure you emptied it out?

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Ron, Mel.

Hard to picture shearing a half-dozen grade-8 3/8" bolts from normal torque-forces...

But from -fatigue-...yes, that can happen to anything...no matter what alloy, or how big.

Hmmm.....well, if it wasn't assembled truly flat....i.e. a piece of grit or a burr between the halves when it was bolted together.... Or if something had run-out...i.e. was out of center...

Ron, all the bad input bearings I've ever heard make a 'growl' or a 'rumble'. I've never heard one 'whine'. That sounds like a gear issue to me....and I don't see that eating a flywheel... just my thoughts...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, the fact that it moves with the bolts broken makes me wonder if you got all the junk out of the center section. There is a bunch of plastic and metal rings in there. Are you sure you emptied it out?

Yep? matter of fact, all that trash is still in the bed of the truck. cookoo
Best seen so far is a couple of the holes I drilled out have been egged out severly and the P/P has some heavy scarring on it. Not sure if there is a piece of a bolt left in it or not yet. I will know tonight when it hits the ground. :backoff

Got another DMF, almost new, with another clutch disc, this morning from the guy that I got the motor from. Price....free. :D
Only cause I told hime the HG's were leaking on the motor he sold me. ;Really

He also has a couple of 4x4 ZF's and t-cases and a dually box for the Beef as well, along with a front axle. Not sure of the front axle price yet tho.
Just need to find a F-350 chassis for the suspension parts af I can't find a 4x2 ZF. ;Sweet

Might end up with a 4x4 Beef fore this thing is done cause wifey and I talked about trans change if it had to be done the 4x4 option was going to be an alternative.

Let y'all know wha happens next.

Thanks

Ron

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! lucky catch on the like-new DMF. It WILL fail again, but in the meantime, you've got another 100K-200K miles you can roll along smoothly.

The single biggest thing that eats DMF's is an unbalanced-running engine. If you've got just one weak cylinder, for any reason from injector to rings, that'll be enough to overwork the DMF and fry it early.

If the ZF's are cheap, I might consider shipping one here Diesel-dog....let me know...

thanks!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ya know yer a rednek if ya can pull a transmission in 30 minutes flat. cookoo

Well, heres the damage for tonight. The bolts were still in the trans side of the DMF, so that was keeping the truck mobile. :eek:

The I got it free DMF is for a Powerchoke :frustrate
Oh well, might have a lead on a replacement truck for the Beef. :love:
Darrin found this truck and gave me a shout tonight on it. Gonna take a look at it tomorrow, while still trying to locate parts for the Beef. ;Sweet
The asking price is $5,200 and has 26 k on an IH rebuilt motor with some extra goodies for the hauling type and is a 4x4.

Attachments

• 1384099216.181024896.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpeg
    1384099216.181024896.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Lucky mod damage1.jpg
    Lucky mod damage1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Lucky mod bolts1.jpg
    Lucky mod bolts1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 5

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is a nice truck, you buy it and we can trade. I love the dually 4x4's. Man, I could NEVER run across a decent deal like that. I paid 6K for mine two years ago. Any idea if that truck is a 5speed, specs man, give us specs. I go ga ga over those kind of trucks, solid front axle, crew cab, DUALLY, man, what a score. If it runs good and is not full of rust, that would be a nice pullin truck. Scotty

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Scotty,

It is a 90 and has a 5 spd that has bout 70 k on it and the t-case was rebuilt not to long ago either. ;Really
It does have some rust on it round the mirrors and front grill area. The guy that has it put a motor direct from IH in it. I think he said it was their drop and run rebuild and has 26k on it. No turbo. :confused:
The truck has a 10" drop bumper with Reese hitch under it and a fiver in the bed. ;Sweet
No power group like the Beef does, but could get transferred. :Sly

Looks like she would need some new shoes judging from the photo.
Just gotta get some parts for the ole Beef to get her back out of the barn now. :rolleyes:

Ron

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a sweet ride, if I could have gotten a 5 speed, man, I would have been ALOT happier in the long run. I like my GV's but man, the 5 speed already there and I could have added a Gv when I wanted to, instead of having to. If the body is not too rough, a little body work and some paint, and man you would have a really nice truck. Add a turbo and man, what a great truck. Like I said, I never find anything like that. My truck was super clean, but you cannot beat a dually for pulling trailers. Plus for 5200, you can add 5K worth of stuff, and have a truck that should do about anything most of us would ever ask of the rigs. What a great builder truck, a nice little H-max, a solid exhaust, a little propane, and man, the truck that is could be.. See what you did, got my wheels turnin.. This is what happens when you go sooooooo long without having your truck.. You go IDI crazy. Scotty

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Scotty,

It is a 90 and has a 5 spd that has bout 70 k on it and the t-case was rebuilt not to long ago either. ;Really
It does have some rust on it round the mirrors and front grill area. The guy that has it put a motor direct from IH in it. I think he said it was their drop and run rebuild and has 26k on it. No turbo. :confused:
The truck has a 10" drop bumper with Reese hitch under it and a fiver in the bed. ;Sweet
No power group like the Beef does, but could get transferred. :Sly

Looks like she would need some new shoes judging from the photo.
Just gotta get some parts for the ole Beef to get her back out of the barn now. :rolleyes:

Ron

Ron,

Let us know how it goes when you look at it tonight. If you pick it up, I may come take a look at it on Thursday when I am at the auction at Schoolcraft. GOod Luck!

The 4x4 Dually's are hard to find because Ford never made them, Conversion companies did. They took a F350CC SRW and converted them to Duallys.

I had one last year that I bought from a Dealer north of Detroit. He had it advertised in the Auto-RV for $8K It was a 87 F350 Dually 4x4 One owner truck from Pennsylvaina with 130K on it. I called him up and found out that it had a Turbo, AND Gearvenders unit on it. That wasn't in the ad for the truck.

He wholesale'd it to me for $6,500, I drove it back to GR, cleaned it up, bought some SS SImulators for it, and 4" exhaust. The thing was Loaded! Rear power slider, conversion in interior, full guages CB Raidar Detecter etc. Red/White with a red interior. I almost kept it and sold Big Red :eek: real clean. I advertised it for $9,500.00 and got 9K out of it. worth every penny!

Since then I probably have only seen 4 CC Dually 4x4's.

Go get it Ron!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, No two ways to look at it. Those bolts got loose. How, I don't know. Judging by the lack of consistency in the ovaling of the holes, some bolts fell out earlier than others. My guess would be once one or two let go, the others didn't stand a chance of hanging on.Did you use a torque wrench on them? Those holes could be welded and machined back into shape, but for the time and money, another DMF would probably be the way to go. Had you checked on them at all since you did the mod (prior to their letting go)? Which way did you put the bolts in? On mine, the nuts are towards the engine. I believe you did it the same way based on what you said. Just trying to figure out why it didn't work for you.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Mel,

That's what I thought also. There was one left in there that was a PITA to get out as it had gotten bent in there and had to be beaten out.
I torqued them to 40 ft/lbs as Jim said in his mod and the lock nuts faced the engine as yours.
When I checked them, I just looked at them which was my downfall as was impossible to get a wrench in there and check with the stock y- pipe. :idiot: Figured that they still looked all snugged up but man did that bite me in the ass. :number2
I also found last night one of the trans bolts on the crossmember had come almost all the way back out. Not sure what happened there. :eek:
Well it's back to locating a DMF today as the freebie didn't work.

Ron

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, check with Jim Williams (Lucky Larue). Last I knew, he had a spare DMF already modded that he was willing to part with. His contact info is in the BOOB registry.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, check with Jim Williams (Lucky Larue). Last I knew, he had a spare DMF already modded that he was willing to part with. His contact info is in the BOOB registry.

MEL,
Thanks might need it for the next project;Sweet

Well after 12 gruelling hours today, We had our final go round (the Beef)
Yanked the motor this am and changed the HG's. No broken head bolts today! :hail Got it back together by noon and located I think a brand new DMF from the guy I got the motor from. There was no clutch dust on the back side and the flywheel surface side had no visible clutch disc contact seen. Only downfall it is a stocker. Got it on and the trans back in and crap! broken tab on the trans to crossmember bolt. Must have been from it getting shook loose. One MORE thing to fix. But got everything back together and fired her back up and all looks good. :backoff

Oh well, she might be getting put up for sale as my next project was found tonight. ;Sweet ;Really

A big Bravo Zulu thanks to all who morally kept me going. :cheers:

Ron

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee ****... so it's back up and running, but your still gonna trade her out? I know you went a few rounds in the ring, but if your the winner, I don't get it. Too much FUD in it for you I guess. :D

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
MEL,
Thanks might need it for the next project;Sweet

Well after 12 gruelling hours today, We had our final go round (the Beef)
Yanked the motor this am and changed the HG's. No broken head bolts today! :hail Got it back together by noon and located I think a brand new DMF from the guy I got the motor from. There was no clutch dust on the back side and the flywheel surface side had no visible clutch disc contact seen. Only downfall it is a stocker. Got it on and the trans back in and crap! broken tab on the trans to crossmember bolt. Must have been from it getting shook loose. One MORE thing to fix. But got everything back together and fired her back up and all looks good. :backoff

Oh well, she might be getting put up for sale as my next project was found tonight. ;Sweet ;Really

A big Bravo Zulu thanks to all who morally kept me going. :cheers:

Ron

You're gonna have to show me when we get out to the 05 event how you're able to yank an engine so quick - takes me till noon just to get the freak'n accessories off and out of the way so I can even think about yanking an engine... And I'm not even a union maint mechanic... What you got on that thing quater turn fasteners ;p LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online