Engine install revisited

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok, :***: did somebody stick the "kick me" sign on my ****?
Got looking around on the motor tonight as the tach was reading goofy. Looked at the wiring and what did I see beyond the wiring? Residue on the top corner of the drivers side head. :number2
Started looking around some more and underneath. Dangit this can't be happening again. 2nd motor and head gasket failure AGAIN! Not one but BOTH HG's. -Deadhorse
I am about at wits end with this truck. cookoo
The thing that sucks is the sludge on the donor motor was overlooked and now I am paying for it. At this point it only appears to be leaking oil as the coolant level is still up.
Any thoughts?....Leave it, change them out and run the risk of bolt snap like before? I am frustrated as hell with this project and at a loss for words.

Ron cookoo

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Ok, :***: did somebody stick the "kick me" sign on my ****?
Got looking around on the motor tonight as the tach was reading goofy. Looked at the wiring and what did I see beyond the wiring? Residue on the top corner of the drivers side head. :number2
Started looking around some more and underneath. Dangit this can't be happening again. 2nd motor and head gasket failure AGAIN! Not one but BOTH HG's. -Deadhorse
I am about at wits end with this truck. cookoo
The thing that sucks is the sludge on the donor motor was overlooked and now I am paying for it. At this point it only appears to be leaking oil as the coolant level is still up.
Any thoughts?....Leave it, change them out and run the risk of bolt snap like before? I am frustrated as hell with this project and at a loss for words.

Ron cookoo

I'm a perfectionist... I'd change the headgasket. Peace of mind...

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[Ron, are you surer its leaking from teh heads and not teh valve covers or intake manifold? Head gasket failure is unusual in the 7.3s fromw hat I have read, are you overheating these motors or putting a lot of fuel in them? I'd leave it be and watch closely, when teh coolant starts leaking or swapping that's the tiome to either fix it, or do the redneck head gasket fix with Bar's stop leak. Supposed to work wonders. My dad used it on his Isuzu, and all seems well after 7-8 months. Much luck,
J.D.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I was watching it closely last night and I could see small bubbles coming fron the block and head surface areas. I can't say much for the back of the motor but with it freshly painted it is definitly coming from the HG's. :confused:
I have reserves this weekend so it's gonna get some extended 70 mph running and won't have alot of time to spare on it.

Ron

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was my truck and I have a wife breathing down my butt to get rid of it, I'd pack it with bar's leak for the time being until I finish getting the other motor freshened up. You have a spare, build it, use it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron must be cursed. It got worse! I just got off the phone with him, and I assumed he's posted on TDS about it. Just lost the Lucky Mod on his DMF as well. When it rains it pours. :rolleyes:

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Agnem said:
When it rains it pours. :rolleyes:
and it couldn't happen to a less deserving BOOB. i've had the pleasure of swapping IDI talk & telling stories with Ron over the phone - great guy. he knows his ****, so he ain't overheatin' anything, BTW.

keep us as informed as possible, Ron. it can only get better from here, right?
we're pulling for you.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Damn that just sucks Ron. What's up with the fly wheel? Wish I could help with a suggestion but I'm at a loss. Russ

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Hanging head low, feet scuffing into the room. :confused:

Well, they say things come in threes. If ya include the HG's and head bolts off engine one as 1. HG's on donor motor as 2, and the Lucky mod DMF as 3. Then things should get better. :angel:
To get things rolling, looks like the easiest way is gonna be to yank the motor AGAIN! :backoff (got that down pat) I think since the DMF has to come back off that will be the easiest route. :puke: Get the motor back on the ground and pull the heads or try to. Hopefully goes better than the last engine. Good thing is that I already have the parts to do the job. ;Sweet

Mel, I've been thinking about the larger Dia. bolts. Judging by the lack of clearance on the back side, as things are still "short term" cookoo , might not work as the heads on the bolts and the nuts are gonna be larger if drilling larger. Things were pretty tight in there on initial install.
Also been thinking about that input shaft bearing on the trans as well. What you were saying bout some resonance shaking things up a bit might have helped things get hammered to say and cause the bolts to shear the way they did. I found one more bolt shaft in the yard while trying to get the Beef lined up to the door to the shop. Might have to change out the ZF and get it either rebuilt or replaced somehow.
Have to take some pictures of the pieces and damage as I didn't get some time to snap and download yet. From what I can tell, the bolt holes in the DMF are pretty egg shaped, think I fubared that one. :number2
good thing is, when them pieces came loose, they didn't crack the housing on the trans.

Only good thing is the good Lord was looking out for me on this one as things were going south about the time I left the Reserve Center (55 miles home).

Thanks for all the moral support on this one. Would appreciate a prayer or some good voodo cause it's gonna take it to get by this one I am afraid.

Will keep y'all updated. Gonna keep this one here.

Ron :(

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Bummer Ron!,.. GIve me a call if there is anything that I can do for you.

Since you are getting so good at motor swaps, do you wanna do mine too? ;)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
Bummer Ron!,.. GIve me a call if there is anything that I can do for you.

Since you are getting so good at motor swaps, do you wanna do mine too? ;)
;p LOL :rotflmao

Thanks Darrin,

Wait a minute, might work something with ya. Like a truck that doesn't keep crapping out on me. :draw

I/ we are considering the options at this point.

Change HG's +Flywheel+trans replacement or rebuild+ better dually box with less rust+ replace rear doors, less rust+ fresh paint.

OR
Come and see what ya got in my price range and make the Beef a project truck. :confused: ......<<<< would never get done.

Say a 6 spd on a 99 for 1,350 bux, might consider that if it would fit. HMMMMM....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, I sure wish I could help. Don't know how many BOOBs live up in your area, but it sure looks to me like 2 or 3 comming over would be the best way to take the pain out of this. Maybe you can paint the engine this time around. There should be some kind of benefit to all this pain. :puke:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well, as far as the BOOBs go, I am bout an hour and a half between both Darrin and Travis.
I know them 2 guys are busy with work and the family. I'm there myself.
With the Beef going belly up, that put about 3 more projects on a list that is over extended as it is. cookoo
Tuesday is my short day and am gonna talk to the boss about taking the whole day off and try to knock some of this project off. :backoff :draw :Sly

The thing that bites, or a blessing was that I did have the motor all freshly painted IH gray and was how I found the oil leaks. :puke:
Wasn't expecting the Lucky mod to puke as well.

Oh well, least I know I should have all the crap all worked out before the rally.

Here's what's left of the 6 bolts in the DMF mod.
And Mel, she will still move on it's own. :***:

Ron

Attachments

• Lucky mod bolts.jpg
    Lucky mod bolts.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 5

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow Ron.....sorry to hear about the donor-motor pukin on ya...

and -real- sorry to hear that the lucky-mod barfed up too....since I was thinking hard about doing that in the next couple weeks.

I'm a little unclear still on exactly what -did- happen with that....???

What broke? I mean, -why- ?? From Lucky's description of the mod-process, it sounded like a pretty solid deal to me...

Richard

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
dozer said:
and -real- sorry to hear that the lucky-mod barfed up too....since I was thinking hard about doing that in the next couple weeks.

I'm a little unclear still on exactly what -did- happen with that....???

What broke? I mean, -why- ?? From Lucky's description of the mod-process, it sounded like a pretty solid deal to me...

Richard

Richard

To be honest, I am still figuring what went wrong also. I hvaen't had time to get the trans out yet as I had drill this weekend. I will know more tonight as I get that thing on the ground. All I had left of parts from it are photoed above. :eek:
I had talked to Mel and we pondered over a couple of scenarios but can't put a thumb on either yet.
One thought was poor quality grade 8 bolts as they were sheared off from the heads and nut.

The other thought was the current situation of the ZF with the input shaft bearing going south also. It was getting pretty whiney latelty. With that condition being present, it might have caused some unwanted resonance or vibrations that might have been "hammering" the DMF and sent the bolts to the chopping block.
AS far as the Lucky mod being solid, yes it really is. We had even talked about going with a larger diameter bolt, but I was thinking it might have some clearance issues. Gonna be a new experiment process I think.

Will keep y'all updated on the findings.

Ron