Engine Hoists

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Okay, I am pulling my engine tomorrow and the local equipment rental place has a engine hoist rated at 1000 LBS, is this enough to lift my engine out of the truck? I don't want to rent a forklift, but if I have to I will..... This engine hoist just pieces together which seems weird but thats how they all must be I guess.... What should I do guys? Try to the hoist, if it doesn't work rent a forklift?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long is the arm on the hoist? It needs to reach from your bumper to mid center of the engine. Lots of hoists are rated at 2k lbs, but with the arm all the way in...

Also, this is assumng the transmission will be dropped prior to plucking the engine.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the one autozone has in stock. $229 and 4000 lb capacity with arm on shortest length. Iirc, it is rated at 1k with the arm extended, which is where it needs to be to reach the center of the engine. It worked fine when I pulled my 7.3. I left some accessories and the flywheel attached and brought it over the core support.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll figure somethin out. I may be able to borrow something from museum I fix train locomotives at, been volunteering there for a few years now... It'll lift it out no problem, and its only a mile down the road!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should. I lifted my fully dressed engine with a 2 ton hoist. Just be careful and don't jerk the lift side to side when you have it up in the air.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I just am on gravel then I have to get into my trailer which I made into a shop today haha! I think I will just borrow the Pettibone from the museum, then I can hoist it right in there, and wont cost me anything more than a tank a diesel for it! Which ain't all that much!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to install my engine 2x with the fork lift, NO DICE! had to use the hoist! I used a chain hoist to jerk the engine out, my forklift was too much too soon for that IDI!
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a 3500 cap WH forklift i do all my lifting with.
i think idiabuse abuses his hydraulic system :D
makes a fully dressed IDI seem like a 4 cylinder turbo coupe!
with tilt and sideshift, 1 person can install the engine in seconds!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled engine, trans and transfer case as one unit yesterday with a two ton HF hoist. Worked great and the hoist was less than $200.00 new

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll figure somethin out. I may be able to borrow something from museum I fix train locomotives at, been volunteering there for a few years now... It'll lift it out no problem, and its only a mile down the road!

They should have something to lift it. The average locomotive part weigh as much as your IDI.LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac