engine gasket parts

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do an engine gasket replacement in the next month or two and I need to know what parts to get. I've got head and valve cover gaskets planned, a new valley pan and probably new exhaust gasket lined up for installation. Also, do 6.9s have an oil cooler? It was suggested that I replace its gasket as well but I'm not sure if it even has one.

I'm going to try to put studs and new injectors on the thing but I'm not sure how if my finances will permit. I might as well have the valves and rockers checked out too, but again, $$$ permitting...

Any suggestions?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
You will need 3 boxes.Valley pan,Head gasket KIT,and Conversion Kit.That will include every gasket,seal,washer,oring you will need from oil pan to injector copper gaskets but you are looking at around $250-300 just in gaskets.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was about to ask the same question, regarding the conversion.

To answer your question about the oil cooler, YES, the 6.9l has an oil cooler as well. Early 6.9l's have an older-style cooler that takes six O-rings, as compared to the oil cooler used by later 6.9l's and all 7.3l IDI's that use four O-rings. The two large O-rings are the same between the two, but the small O-rings are different. I heard recently that Ford discontinued the small O-rings for the earlier cooler bundle, but you should confirm that before going further...also, IH might have them. Or, you can buy a later-style cooler...just keep in mind that the oil cooler for the van is different than the truck oil cooler. IIRC, this is due to clearance issues with the crossmember and engine mounts. Take a look here and here for some pictures of a disassembled oil cooler, along with block number references for when they switched it over.

So, does this mean you decided to keep the van after all? ;Sweet

Good luck!!!

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my first "I'VE GOT TO SELL IT!!!" freak out is over. I'm keeping it. I heard that with new gaskets I've got maybe 100k to 150k miles left on the engine. I don't know how accurate that estimate is but that's a lot of miles and it is looks like diesel is finally cheaper than gas in Atlanta. It'd be a pity to trade my diesel in for a gasser now...

By the way, where is the oil cooler?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oil cooler lives on the drivers side just under the exhaust manifold - the oil filter screws on to the rear header for the oil cooler.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how heavy are the heads? around 100 lbs each?

also, should the cylinders be honed? Any other service options to consider?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the heads are about 100 lbs. Getting them out on a van is NOT going to be easy; if you have the facilities, I would STRONGLY recommend pulling the engine. I got lucky with my old 6.9l E-350; I never had to do any major engine work...

If you're not going to go into the bottom end as well, I don't think there's any need to hone the cylinders. Also...assuming there aren't any bottom end problems that are already showing themselves (a knock, low oil pressure, etc) and the piston tops are happy, IMHO 100 to 150K miles is a conservative estimate. The bottom end of these engines are pretty stout...

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Conversion kit is basically a fancy name for bottom end gasket kit.Contains all the gaskets for the Oil pan,Front timing cover,Water pump,both gaskets for the oil cooler plus O rings,New gasket for the oil drain plug,Main seal,and I think a few other things.The head gasket "SET/KIT" comes with both head gaskets,Valve cover gaskets,8 copper washers,16 O rings for the injectors,16 valve seals,gasket for the waterneck,exhaust gaskets.The Valley pan kit is pretty spartin compared to the others.You get a big slab of sheetmetal with rubber coated ears for the intake runners,a rubber grommet for the CDR valve,a metal cap to plug the CDR hole in the case of trucks with the CDR in the valve cover(like IHC trucks had) and a tube of smurf snot.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Yes, the heads are about 100 lbs. Getting them out on a van is NOT going to be easy; if you have the facilities, I would STRONGLY recommend pulling the engine. I got lucky with my old 6.9l E-350; I never had to do any major engine work...

Yeah, I think that setting the heads alone will be a major pain. I'll see if my uncle-in-law will let me use his garage for the whole ordeal. How much would the entire engine way when pulled?

Roos

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm about to get busy replacing my head gaskets on my 92 F350 IDI and I'm wondering if anybody has a preferred manufacturer for the gasket kit. Felpro, Victor, Dana(?) are some that I've come across....any thoughts?

Rick

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hands down Felpro.We All we use in racing and all I will use on my IDI.If it works for a 7500-8000RPM 350 and a 10,000RPM Ford 2.0 I4 both with monster compression then it will be good enough for my 4000RPM 444 IDI.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Roos said:
Hi folks. I'm about to get busy replacing my head gaskets on my 92 F350 IDI and I'm wondering if anybody has a preferred manufacturer for the gasket kit. Felpro, Victor, Dana(?) are some that I've come across....any thoughts?

Rick
I agree with Freight Train. I did much research myself and would only use Felpro. Just personal opinion. The only problem is, because I would only use one brand, I had to order them when I could have gone to Napa and gotten Victor. Again personal choice. Many have used Victor and like them. You can get Felpro in the kits required from Northern Auto Parts. I believe the head gasket kit was $125 and the valley pan kit was $55 plus shipping (Northern doesn't do free shipping). Don't forget head bolts. You can get those for $62 per head from Napa.

Tom

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do people say "don't put a turbo on an engine with over 100k miles on it?" Too much wear and tear on it already and a turbo would only make it worse?

Freight_Train

Reaction score
well,quite a few of us here will say go for it.Me personally I would have to know the engine but I would put a turbo on a million mile engine if I felt it was safe.All depends really on its condition.Does it smoke,Is there a excessive amount of blow by,Does it make funky sounds,If No then air stuffer!But I might swap out the head gaskets just to be safe like I am doing right now(going the extra mile and going studs too).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online