engine block heaters

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to Tee into lower rad hose at all. You cut the lower rad hose and install the heater into the hose and clamp it back together.........

-From now on I will ONLY use a T-bolt clamp like a Kodiak or a Greenline or whatever.....

-I have a 750w in my 84 and it does just fine. You would maybe want a 1000w if your way in the north. All are t-stat controlled and cycle on an off.

-And DON'T use the factory block heater port on your 84...

Thanks a lot for tips. I know that style (lower radiator hose heater) only goes up to 750 watts. What temperatures do you see and how effective is your lower radiator hose heater?

Today we saw -2 degrees in South Jersey and that's not including the wind chill. So I'd like to know how well these lower hose heaters work and what outside temperatures they're starting in.

I ordered a zerostart block heater for now. I couldn't find anyone who liked the lower radiator hose heater or any good testimonials with outside temperatures.

My 85 is a 7.3 but my 86 is a crate motor 6.9, I haven't checked if it's a rebuilt early block. I still may need another block heater alternative.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1200w circulation type plumbed off the block drain and into the supply for the heater core but the factory one does a much better job