Elvis is alive and well in my steering column

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a little wobbly several years ago but it seems like it is getting a lot worse. Has anyone rebuilt one of the tilt wheel type and knows what I need before I start the job. I know the column has to come out of the truck. my biggest fear is loosing my teeth on that spring. I spoke with the guys at the dealer and they just handed me a blowup of the parts diagram and told me to pick what I wanted. I didn't know where to start. The ones in the junkyard are a little better than what I have now but it doesn't take long before it's like what I have. Open to suggestions and part numbers.
Thanks, Doug

'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS turbo

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You may want to check the archives or ask Rich (94f450?) He knows this stuff.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it wobbly up and down or round and round. What I mean is......Are you having to turn the wheel back and forth alot to keep a straight line or can you shake the wheel up and down in the column.

If it's sloppy causing excessive adjustment to drive strait chech the "rag joint" between the column and the gear box. Inexpensive fix (but a real PITA-cuss )and it's available in the self help section of most auto parts stores.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Do you have a manual for the truck? I'd say securing a good manual for the truck would be a good starting place.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wobbles all around but it doesn't effect the steering. It feels like it is above the tilt universal joint. The rag joint has less than 20,000 on it and box leaks but it is tight. I have the shop manual but the last time I read the procedure it left me with more questions than answers. It tells you how to take it apart and reassemble it but I was hoping to find the items I would need to replace before I have it on my bench. I will look through the archive and look up Rich. I thought I remembered someone having fun with this before. Thanks, Doug

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Is this for your 86? You don't have to take the column out, but it would probably be easier. Looking back, it probably would be more comfortable... I have a ton of pictures from when I replaced the shift collar, had to basically disassemble the column bare.
If it wobbles in a circle, there is also a bearing in there, right up close to the steering wheel. Pull the wheel and maybe a turnsignal switch. Snapring. Retains the upper steering shaft. Might be another bearing lower down for tilt.
James

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wobbles in a circle, there is also a bearing in there, right up close to the steering wheel. Pull the wheel and maybe a turnsignal switch. Snapring. Retains the upper steering shaft. Might be another bearing lower down for tilt.
James

well i replaced my column and its rather easy to take out but was a pain to put in cause so many things had to be in order. for example i had all together and put the steering wheel on but there was a wobble and it was that the bearing that sits behind the snap ring was not back far enough and i forgot the ring. so i know all about the tilt wheel column cause i did it last week.

if yours is a stick then really the only things that hold the wheel firm are:
the nuckle, which looks tough and not likely to have play
then the stupidest thing, a POT METAL key rackcookoo -cuss MINE BROKE
on that the pot metal rack theres 2 bearings one inner near the nuckle and the outer that you see when the wheel is off. and i think the bearings are loose either themselves or the outer bearing nay have rounded out the hole it sits in espically if you use the wheel to hold on to get in and out your truck
then its just the key cylinder housing which bears no load and the wheel so ...

well i have my old column in my garage and thats the way i see it.

replaced it for 15dollars at a junkyard works great.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one do this, and got it all apart and found 4 loose screws. Tightened them back down and it fixed it. Can't remember which rig it was?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you are feeling is the tilt pivots and the 2 bearings that fit the shaft. When you are getting in and out of your truck do you use the steering wheel to pull yourself in? If so you have worn out the pivot pin mounts. What I did was take the tilt apart and pulled out each tilt pin one at a time. I then used 5 minute epoxy on each pin and reinstalled them. That took care of the wobble there. Then I removed the parts to get down to each bearing. The bearings were fine but the fit to the shaft was really loose. So, again some epoxy on the shaft and all the wobble is gone. Its really a deep area getting into the bearings but take your time and draw pictures or take pictures. I ended up eith some extra parts so I went searching the wrecking yard. Found a truck and took apart the tilt wheel. Found where the extra pocket parts went. All is well now. You do not need to remove the tilt spring that is bent all around the colum. Those retaining clips are easily breakable. The coil spring will need to be removed if your doing the shaft bearings.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Yeah, and that pot metal key rack....when you put your key tumbler back in make sure the rack slide thingie is lined up right......the teeth are lined up or you may have your key tumbler turning/not turning right. If you do mess up on this part, don't take the wheel off and the column apart again. Don't ask how I know, but it was a cold, nasty day & I got an attitude!!!:mad: :mad:
Been a year since I fixed mine, but IIRC You can pull the tumbler back out, reach up in there somehow (don't remember it all) with something & slide the rack back in line, put the tumbler back. Good to go.

Also, I got a lot of slack outta mine by putting some really small flat washers under the 3-4 screws that screw in from rhe dash side around the tilt area. The ones you pull a cover/collar off the column, stand on your head to see. They go thru the little metal wedges that clamp things tight.
It's been a year & I'm trying to recall....
I do remember that as I analyzed my slack, for some reason I decided to grind some metal off the wedges, then tighten the screws back up. Didn't work....got sloppyier.
Then came the washer idea. Fixed it.

The upper & lower bearings....they aren't all that spendy, but apparently lot of time the slack is in the soft metal (mild steel) steering shaft where the bearings ride. Ford wanted something like $350 or so for new upper shaftas I recall.cookoo cookoo
just my 2 cents
james

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
James... Thats why I used 5 minute epoxy on mine. Just remember not to use the wheel as a handle and pull yourself into the seat.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
James... Thats why I used 5 minute epoxy on mine. Just remember not to use the wheel as a handle and pull yourself into the seat.
I been thinking all afternoon about what you said about where you used the 5min epoxy & trying in my mind to get my steering column landmarks located again. Like I say, been over a year & I'm getting old & forge.....well getting better.:rotflmao
The epoxy trick is good tip.
And pulling on the steering wheel DOwear'em out.
My problem....my big fat belly, stubby stumblin legs, & those tired wore out days that seem to start earlier & earlier in the mornings more often.....-cuss -cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
TTman... Ever get into your truck in the morning and the radio is turned way up & the mirror is too low to see thru? Then at work you need to lower the mirror and turn up the radio so you can drive home seeing out the back and able to hear the country music? I did this for some time till I figured it out. Work just plain wore me out each day. I really enjoyed my work but it wore me out. I'm now retired 7 months and have lost 4 lbs. Geez, in a few years I'll be all gone at this pace....:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online