Eliminating side-to-side play in transfer case gearshift

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the process of putting my truck back together post-tranny swap, and am trying to figure out the cause of the side-to-side play in my transfer case gearshift lever. I found that the play is at the pivot point, where the through-bolt goes through and bolts to the side of the tranny. I took a few pictures and posted them here to show what I've got...it looks like the plastic bushings are supposed to be thicker, or there's something missing. Is that the case? Or, is the big bushing in the lever assembly itself too wide? Or, what's up?

BTW, in the third picture, the plastic bushing IS installed...just, the collar is partially broken, so you can see how much space there is in there...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Trans Swap 095.jpg
    Trans Swap 095.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Trans Swap 096.jpg
    Trans Swap 096.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Trans Swap 097.jpg
    Trans Swap 097.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured that that was it, but also figured I should ask before throwing yet more $$ at my truck...thanks! Just ordered the bushings from Mission Valley Ford...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and no luck :( The guy at Ford thought I was talking about a different part. I went to pick up the bushings today and found in the plastic bag the two bushings that go onto the arm that attaches the lever to the mechanism on the transfer case that actually shifts the unit.

After we cleared that misunderstanding up, he looked again, and found that a) the plastic bushings are not sold by themselves, but they come with the lever assembly, and b) the lever assembly is no longer sold.

So, it looks like I'm SOL :( Fortunately, the play isn't too horribly bad...I just hope it doesn't get worse...

tenlug

Reaction score
Try greensalescompany.com, they stock obsolete ford parts. Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online