ELECTRIC PUMP = CARTER VS HOLLEY

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing an electric-fuel-pump bypass.

My intentions are to have the electric pump in a bypass line that can be called upon for filter-priming, emergency use in the event of a mechanical-pump failure, and occassional emptying of a tank in the event I may need to remove one for whatever reason.

I have three electric pumps on hand, an old A/C unit that has 1/8NPT ports, a like-new Holley Red, and a brand-new-in-the-box Carter P4070.

Between the Holley and Carter, which is the superior pump ??

I understand the Holley mounts with the motor-housing up top; whereas, the Carter says to hang the motor down, such that the flowing fuel circulates throughout the motor-housing, thus cooling and lubricating the pump.

Also, the Carter has rubber bushings around the three mounting bolts; whereas, the Holley mounts solid to the frame.

Educated opinions, please.

Thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your only using it to prime the system, and as a stand by, get a cheap Facet. Using a Holley Red the way you state, would be like using an F-350 to haul what would fit in a childs pull behind wagon. A better idea is to gut the mechanical all together, and just use a Holley Red in its place. The bypass scheme is really overkill and overcomplicated.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your only using it to prime the system, and as a stand by, get a cheap Facet. Using a Holley Red the way you state, would be like using an F-350 to haul what would fit in a childs pull behind wagon. A better idea is to gut the mechanical all together, and just use a Holley Red in its place. The bypass scheme is really overkill and overcomplicated.

I already own the Holley and the Carter; I would have to buy a Facet.

The bypass is no big deal, just two TEES, two check-valves, a switch and a few feet of wire.

Thanks.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I like the Carter myself, I think they are much quieter, although you can hear it running with the engine off. That's what's on mine and I've had good luck thus far. For your intended use, I don't think it would matter through as noise won't be a factor either.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the Carter, but I do have a Holley Red. I use a constant duty relay and the pump also has a oil pressure saftey switch. Once oil pressure is > or = to 7 psi, the Holley gets power. I have that on a toggle to bypass that feature when doing work on or bleeding the fuel system.

The Holley will provide about 5 psi of fuel at the filter head all day long. I've had trouble with a crappy relay, but never the pump itself. I completely removed my mechanical lift pump and just use the Holley. It's been two and half years now, and it works like a charm. It will be worth the effort of putting the pump on the first time you need to bleed the system. Trust me. No cranking and cranking, and cranking. When I changed my IP and injectors to the DPS units, I bleed the filter and ran the Holley for a minute, I cranked the truck and it started after two revoultions and ran like a top.

Either way, I'd ditch the mechanical fuel pump.

Heath

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way, I'd ditch the mechanical fuel pump.

Heath

I probably would if it were still an old diaphragm-type; my mechanical lift-pump is a piston-pump with a manual primer-pump; it holds a steady 15-PSI after all of the filters.:backoff

So far, it's about an even vote between the Carter and the Holley.

Thanks.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
15-PSI after all of the filters.:backoff

Doesn't 15 PSI affect your timing? Stock from the book I have is 4 to 7 PSI. I'm running right at 7 with no problems, but I would think 15 (double the required) would wreak havoc with the timing. Then again, if it's consistent, you can probably adjust for it.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Doesn't 15 PSI affect your timing? Stock from the book I have is 4 to 7 PSI. I'm running right at 7 with no problems, but I would think 15 (double the required) would wreak havoc with the timing. Then again, if it's consistent, you can probably adjust for it.

from his sig he is running a cumapartLOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score

He doesn't have an IDI :D .

I have used both and thought the facet pump was better but I got to send it back for a replacement after only 4 weeks of use. Maybe it was just a defective one but the holley never did that to Me. I'm still running a facet pump but I do like the holley system better I only wish it would pull fuel as fast as the facet.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't 15 PSI affect your timing?

Actually, the Stanadyne is a mechanical gear-driven pump and timing should remain the same, regardless of fuel-pressure, unless I am not seeing something; please enlighten me on this.:dunno

Where too much pressure will get you is by pushing out the seals, thus causing fuel to pour into the crank-case.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually, the Stanadyne is a mechanical gear-driven pump and timing should remain the same, regardless of fuel-pressure, unless I am not seeing something; please enlighten me on this.:dunno

Where too much pressure will get you is by pushing out the seals, thus causing fuel to pour into the crank-case.

Shoving too much pressure through the IDI IP can cause timing flucation, according to those in the know. I guess I didn't read your sig close enough, as others have pointed out, so it's a non-issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online