Electric fuel pump wont push gas unless engine cranking?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the people who've had unsatisfactory performance with the Facet lift pump, which I am assuming you're using, why are you going that route? Yeah I still have one on my truck but that's only 'cuz I've been getting over back surgery for the last year and a half so fixing things that aren't quite broke was a low priority. I have the 9-11psi model and it won't pump enough fuel to maintain a hard pull uphill in 2nd or 3rd at high RPMs--fuel filter light comes on. Just my .02
There are also a lot of people who have perfectly satisfactory results, if they use the correct pump. I put a Facet 40285 on my truck (4-7 psi, which is the proper pressure) when I added a factory turbo setup about 3 years ago, and I've never seen the fuel filter light come on, regardless of load or RPM. (Yes, the light does work) ;)

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a 40285 & 40290 in parallel.

The set up has worked nicely for me ('93 IDIT).
My favorite part is the redundancy.
The truck runs fine on either pump, better on both.

I believe that some (most) of the reported Facet failure is due to "knock-offs" being distributed/sold by bad actors.

I buy mine here: Pegasus

You must be registered for see images attach

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are also a lot of people who have perfectly satisfactory results, if they use the correct pump. I put a Facet 40285 on my truck (4-7 psi, which is the proper pressure) when I added a factory turbo setup about 3 years ago, and I've never seen the fuel filter light come on, regardless of load or RPM. (Yes, the light does work) ;)
There isn't a correct pump here since this is an aftermarket off-label use of the Facet pumps in question, which were often used on small 1.9liter diesel engines on refrigerated trailers if I remember accurately. I started with the pump you seem to think is correct and it performed horribly on an N/A engine. It currently sits in the back seat in case I need it. I tried the higher pressure model after reading here that others had a similar problem with the 4-7 psi model. YMMV but the Facet seems to be a bit of a gamble whereas other pumps seem to have more reliable results. My personal opinion is that the Facet lift pumps are a waste of time and money when so many other options are available. Now, cue the dead horse image @Clb.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Like MtnHaul, I prefer staying with stock mechanical pump. They are tried and trued. They work great and rarely have issues. They are easy to get and generally in stock.

If you are convinced an electric pump is right for you, the Holley red seems to be the consistent winner of “works out of the box.”

IDIDoit has suggested for high performance apps a more powerful electric is needed. I will take his word for it.

The challenge is if you go with a random e-pump you will get random results. Good, bad, or just ugly. So if you have time, looking for a project, and like to be a consumer reports tester. Then let er rip!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you are convinced an electric pump is right for you, the Holley red seems to be the consistent winner of “works out of the box.”
Or a Walboro pump (can't remember the number). I'm planning to stick with mechanical pumps (except for fuel filter priming purposes but that's another subject) myself. I will change that when it comes to the higher powered engine that I will build for the Ex Wife some day.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
This is a 40285 & 40290 in parallel.

The set up has worked nicely for me ('93 IDIT).
My favorite part is the redundancy.
The truck runs fine on either pump, better on both.

I believe that some (most) of the reported Facet failure is due to "knock-offs" being distributed/sold by bad actors.

I buy mine here: Pegasus

Did you see the third rating from “Joe Schmo”, says it would not keep up with his stock 7.3 idi?

So guessing the secret sauce is running two together like you do. But at $112 each and $224 for the pair, that gets pricey.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't a correct pump here since this is an aftermarket off-label use of the Facet pumps in question, which were often used on small 1.9liter diesel engines on refrigerated trailers if I remember accurately. I started with the pump you seem to think is correct and it performed horribly on an N/A engine. It currently sits in the back seat in case I need it. I tried the higher pressure model after reading here that others had a similar problem with the 4-7 psi model. YMMV but the Facet seems to be a bit of a gamble whereas other pumps seem to have more reliable results. My personal opinion is that the Facet lift pumps are a waste of time and money when so many other options are available. Now, cue the dead horse image @Clb.
Hu.dowhat....
Oh this

We need a stickie emoji!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see the third rating from “Joe Schmo”,
Yes I did.
All I can say is that the 40285 is in it's third truck now. One (N/A) died from block worm, one (Banks turbo'd) died from cracked block @ block heater and now the IDIT.

I did NOT like the 40285, solo, on my IDIT. When pulling (10 or 11k) I ran out of fuel at the top (+3k RPM). So I stabbed the 40290 in there with it ... works great for me. I might have had the same result on the Banks turbo'd truck but I never pulled much more than 5k with that one, so I can't say.
that gets pricey
Maybe.?
Some things to consider:

* Most e-pumps want to be close to the fuel tank ... these Facets don't seem to care = I can put them under the hood

* Redundancy - My IDIT will run fine on either pump (independently)

* The setup that I'm running did not require a pressure regulator

I knew the "dead horse" would come up.
Still kickin' ain't it?

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idi ever see's 3000 + rpms:Thumbs Up (joke) so the fauwcett is just fine, really honest;Sweet (not really)

they do a job, not everyone pulls heavy enuff to see the true issue's!

An old quote
If it works don't fix it...
(Also a joke) full flow @ip required psi is purty IMPORTANT for full power .
No really!

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It’s always good to see the horse CLB!

No idi ever see's 3000 + rpms:Thumbs Up so the fauwcett is just fine, really honest;Sweet

they do a job, not everyone pulls heavy enuff to see the true issue's!

An old quote
If it works don't fix it...
CLB,

My C6 runs 2,800 at 65mph and sees 3,000 semi frequently to get around slow vehicles. Maybe you were suggesting ZF5’s don’t need to or something?

Last edited:

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you were suggesting ZF5’s don’t need to or something.
I had the same question (among others) about his post.

My IDIT is a ZF5 truck.
3200 RPM (per Ford tach & Barney Fife) gets me 63 MPH in 4th and it's still pulling.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online