Electric fuel pump options

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I'm currently running a duralift and recently installed a pressure gauge where i could see it while driving. I was a little surprised to see that under WOT acceleration my fuel pressure had dropped to 2psi (from 6.5psi) and was still falling (was still in town, had to let off). I'm wondering what other options i have for electric pumps with my WMO blends. I'm worried that i may be damaging my IP by starving it at higher loads and RPMs.

Turbowerx and similarly priced pumps are out of my range. I'm looking to stay under $200 for the pump and regulator (if required).

I'm posting in this forum because I almost always run a WMO blend fulltime (generally 65-75% oil and the rest k-1 or k-1/gas). I only have one tank and rarely run pure diesel.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
This little beasty stands up to WMO blends just fine and the pressure seems to be about perfect with no regulator- about 5-7 psi under load and 8-10 at idle. My fuel pressure gauge is actually a boost gauge mounted on the hood, very easy to monitor under all conditions. This Wallbro is easily the best pump for the money (IMO) for WMO I've used. http://www.fuel-pumps.net/frb51.html

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
At Summit at holley blue with a summit non-return regulator is about $140.

I'll have to keep that pump bookmarked, BioFarmer. Looks like a solid deal. Is it a vane pump?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the Walbro pumps I have one running for three or four years now with no issues. It is a marine grade pump (see my signature for model number). Cost me about $100.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
You run the same one i was asking about... :D

Where did you get it for $100? The site i linked wants $160....

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You run the same one i was asking about... :D

Where did you get it for $100? The site i linked wants $160....

I bought mine from Nanaimo Marine in BC (I am in Canada). I think I found them as a distributor through the Walbro web site.

I did a google for my pump and found some marine distributors that sell it for $130. The nice features of this pump are
- on demand pumping, it will only pulse when needed (reduces power draw)
- good lift specs
- self priming
- if it fails it can be drawn through
- 6 to 8 psi deadheaded

I put mine on a three position switch, on (manual), off, and automatic powered off the fuel shut off circuit. When I change the fuel filter I can manually purge the air out without cranking. The Off position is also a security feature - if anyone wishes to borrow the truck it won't get very far!

Last edited:

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thought is the stock PSD pump with an external regulator. This pump will push my WMO mix at 65-70 psi and drops to 30 PSI at WOT with a 9K lb trailer. For 6.5 psi, this pump oughta run forever.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year range for the psd pump? Also thinking about the walbro...

Thought about the turbowerx but the cheap one isn't atf comparable... not paying 500 for a lift pump right now.

-Chris

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the '99 to '03 pump for the 7.3's, at Autozone the part# is E2236. Listed price is $152 but with their frequent coupons it could be had for 25% off or about $114. Comes with a 1 yr warranty too...

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
May look at carter p4070 pumps. 72 gph and mal may still be running it on the moosetang

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the $140 oil scavenge gear pump from egay? The look similar to all the other gear pumps and the seller rating is high.... the pump is what he sells mainly..

I'm also considering swapping to the Cummins low pressure piston pump... bolt on replacement for me... no need for a regulator and supposively bulletproof..

$345 for the kit

-Chris

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Slight resurection... for the walbro pump even though it lists a max of 48" of suction would it work just as well near/in the engine bay since its mostly horizontal travel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online