Electric Fans

dyoungen

Reaction score
I've heard of using Taurus fans and Lincoln or "T" bird. What years are you talking about for each of the fans

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i have two electric fans from a taurus, engine was a 3.8L v6. supposed to push/pull 3800 cfm of air, the lincoln mark fan is 4300, not 4500. i read a gasser mech fan is somewhere around 5000 cfm but it always on.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I didn't think much of the thread, then I realized I was the one that started it. Now I remember.LOL

Still didn't get around to using electric fans, but I didn remove my fan and fan shroud. They have been in storage all this time and the truck doesn't seem to mind since its winter.

There is a difference in fuel economy for short distances that are driven after a cold start. My around town MPGs were usually around 13 MPG because of so much warm up time. Now, its closer to 15-16 MPG. Fuel economy on the highway is harder to say because I haven't been driving at those speeds very much lately. Best guess is one extra MPG. If there was a way to make the fan clutch run loose when its dead cold, then the problem would be solved because once its hot, the losses seem to be a lot less.

No towing has been done for this period, but I did make a few trips to the ski hill which has about a 10 mile climb on hills ranging from 6% to 12% and not once did the temp gauge even flinch. EGTs ran close to 1100 though.

Its been an interesting experiment to say the least. Had to disable the AC compressor, but so far no other complications.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why disabled the AC... I would like to see that same climb with the AC turned on... also in tow. Thanks for your updates

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried running the AC while I was checking other things, and found the compressor started running hot (I suspected it might cause problems). No flow over the AC radiator means that the system simply builds up heat as it runs unless the truck is moving. The engine doesn't make much heat when idling so its fine idling for as long as needed, but the AC system does overheat it seems, so I had to disable it.

Why would I tow a trailer up to the ski hill with the AC on? Its winter cookoo:rotflmao

The fan will probably have to go back on in late spring even if I don't have to tow anything. Was a neat experiment that saved me a few bucks and helped power slightly, but thats about it. Not for anywone but then again, nothing ever is.;Sweet

dyoungen

Reaction score
OPTIKALILLUSHUN: What year Tauarus fans and what year lincoln fans? I called a few yards and they wouldn't give me any prices without the years. I ended up saying 96. There is a differance between the 95 and 96 fan setup or so they say.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard that a factory fan if locked up with the engine bouncing off the governor is good for 10,000 cfm or so - whether tis true or not I have no idea, but I've been running with a locked fan for half an year now and I still get my 20mpg on the freeway easy.