Electric Fan guys!

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
What fan thermostat ar yall using, all the ones I'm finding are 180/170 which would keep the fans on all the time.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could also run a relay and a manual switch if you're willing to keep an eye on your temp gage.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's risky. I'd be scared to do that. There is always the off chance you had a bad day and you aren't thinking about something like that. I just wouldn't risk that...

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's risky. I'd be scared to do that. There is always the off chance you had a bad day and you aren't thinking about something like that. I just wouldn't risk that...

I ran for 3 summers with no fan at all, and this summer with nothing but a switch. I only remember turning it on once or twice this summer outside of having to need it to run the a/c in stop and go traffic. You'd be shocked how rubust the cooling system is in an IDI, especially when you aren't towing anything. Just my personal experience, I understand peoples reluctance to run without a traditional cooling control. Truth be told, if I start towing regularly again, I am going to run a Delta controller.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 190 in the scout and once it reaches temp it pretty much runs constantly

the t-stat in the idi is 195 so your results are to be expected.you don't want your e-fans coming on until 215-220ish.230 wouldn't be crazy.237 degree's at the upper rad hose until clutch engagement is still "pass" for the stock mechanical.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have my fan switch set to come on around 220 or so( actual comes on around 225 ), shuts off around 200-210. They rarely come on unless towing except when stopped in traffic. ( bear in mind, I run Evans coolant, so I can go a LOT higher on temps without issue. Min fan turn on temp recomendation is 215 with that stuff , but it boils at 375 ) I had a 190 fan switch from the fan company and that sucked, the fans never shut off. all it did was drain my batts

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I have my fan switch set to come on around 220 or so( actual comes on around 225 ), shuts off around 200-210. They rarely come on unless towing except when stopped in traffic. ( bear in mind, I run Evans coolant, so I can go a LOT higher on temps without issue. Min fan turn on temp recomendation is 215 with that stuff , but it boils at 375 ) I had a 190 fan switch from the fan company and that sucked, the fans never shut off. all it did was drain my batts

If you can run to 375, why even have fans?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you can run to 375, why even have fans?

Little thing called tempting fate. THe engine may be able to handle it, but there are some plastic things running across and threaded into the engine that have a habit of not liking those really high temps.

On one of my engines where I had a stat stick and it got REAL hot, there was no engine damage, but I melted about 4 computer sensors on the engine and the clips on the air filter box melted off from the exceedingly high underhood temp.. but the engine was completely unharmed ;Sweet I still have that car.

While teh engine would be ok, it can get expensive trashing relays and wires etc from excessive heat

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running no fan at all right now.... Temps stay between 190-200, Which they did with the fan too. I've been towing and hauling too with the same results... At idle temps slowly and I mean slowly creep up, With the fast idle on they creep up faster... But I can usually idle it for around 30 minutes without it going above 220, With the heater blowing on high It can idle longer.. Highest I've let it go is around 235...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
240F operating temp ideal for diesel

I wish I could get mine hotter, I also run Evans coolant and when towing it does get to the operating temp I like
But around town empty it should get much hotter for many reasons.
I dont have yet a fan/fans to replace my P-47 propellor clutch fan that my truck has now.
and more wires/switches/boxes :sly to add

cheap way, use a Pizza box 2 block the radiator for now?

Javier

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have electric fans/shroud from a taurus/winstar and a thermostat relay if anyone wants to make a deal. PM me. I couldn't get the setup to work like I wanted it to, but then again my head gasket was blown unbeknownst to me.

I'd be willing to trade, too.:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online