Electric air intake heater?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I already stated, I can't speak for the electronic/computer-controlled stuff made after 1998.5, as they are animals of an entirely different breed, with the only thing in common being the Cummins badge.

I can only relate to my own experiences with the four fully-mechanical Cummins-powered trucks that are sitting in my own parking-lot.

I have one that may not get started for three months; grid-heater cables dis-connected and zip-tied out of the way since the first week we had the truck, and on a ZERO morning it will fire and be running quicker than I can release the key.

For what it's worth, there has never been anything different than 15W-40 oil in any of them year round.

Please don't take me wrong; on an icey-cold morning, every little bit of heat applied anywhere is of some benefit; but, if anyone is having issues starting a mechanical Cummins without the grids, they have something else going on that needs be addressed. :)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The DT466E's would be a rear bear to start cold. The block heater would help some, but not much. Why they addition of the HEUI electrical injection system would mess with cold starts........

Heath,

It may be similar problem that the 6.0L has. Stiction. The oil being cold and thick in the injectors cause hard/cold starts with the help of the glow plugs in the 6.0. I would say the addition trouble starting, and the cylinders being cold and the injectors not firing correctly may be the issue, not sure, just a theory....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BACK ON TRACK

I do think the idea of a strategically positioned Cummins grid-heater in the air-stream of an IDI International would be a big benefit for cold engine starts, regardless of outside temperature.

I know that, without glowplugs, many of these IDIs will not start on the first start of the day, even in July.

It would be interesting to see just what would happen if the grids were cycled and the glows not. :)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
On our boat we had a Westerbeke Generator that needed to preheat for 20-30 seconds before starting. IIRC it had a heater element in the intake and was naturally aspirated

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a dead dryer I am gonna steal the heating element off of and experiment with. should be nichrome.. I'll post up my results and if its successful or not when I give it a shot ;Sweet

also, my guess is that it might not be very practical for turbocharged setups (extra plumbing will take more heat up before it reaches cylinders), and since the bore is small on the trucks the cylinder walls will take the heat up before its very useful. And most people have said a healthy truck should start fine with glowplugs.. Still it is worth a shot since I have a heating element for free now and know how to fine tune it for heat.

Another guess is that it will come in handy when the truck is running to help with warmup on cold starting as on the cummins.

Last edited:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our F800 with its 12V Cummins has no block heater and the ether injection is empty (probably has been for a long time, there's not even a canister on it).

It will start on cold mornings...but it doesn't like it. I personally have started it in single digit temps, but you usually have to keep cranking for 15-20 seconds until it will run on its own, and then after it starts it's a bit cantankerous and usually has to idle for a couple minutes to smooth out and be drivable.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the IDI start without glowplugs too, my stepdad didn't know how to work the manual pushbutton properly so I found myself with all dead GP's :eek:, cranking her over got 'er started but not happily. but it was a decent spring day.

In a pickle, if you got a friend or someone with a truck they can give you a push start if your a stick. Or just roll down a hill. I've done both when I had a weak starter and bad batteries for a little while. Just put her in gear with key on - 2nd or 3rd work good on my 4sp, once your moving start letting of the clutch and on to the fuel pedal and be ready to pound that clutch back in or she'll buck ;p. works good too even if you have some air intrusion I think.

Just thought I'd spit that tip out because I've met alot of people who didn't know about it, and it can come in handy, really handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online