Egt questions

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 1990 7.3 idi n/a and I'm wondering what you guys are getting for egts. I'm trying to figure out what I should be running. I get up to 700 pulling a steep grade in 4 gear not on it real hard either. Driving around town I'm seeing 400 to 700 not driving hard. Does that seem kinda high? Thanks for the info.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is your EGT probe? Is it in the exhaust manifold?

1100 degrees is thought of as a safe limit.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, Not high. NA IDI's will make some higher EGT's. My 6.9 ran significantly higher average EGT's NA than it does now with a Bull Moose, injectors, and turbo.

Heath

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is NA and even empty will break 1100. It won't black out the sun but it does let out a nice little haze if I'm really gettin it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I thought that was to high for it. Does anyone know what kind of exhaust to run on an N/A like how big would you guys go on one?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the restrictive "y" removed and a single 3inch with a flowmaster built.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at exhaust everything I read recommended at least dual 2.5" or single 3.5". I went single 4". Didn't notice power gains but it dropped my egts 50-100 degrees. Sounds good too. Seen a lot of guys modding obs powerstroke kits but I ordered all my parts off eBay and had a local shop weld and hang it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher EGTs(for the same power output) in a IDI tend to mean retarded(or advanced, but usually retarded) timing overall.

Obviously, a richer burn(more fuel compared to air input) will result in higher temps, so you can actually make more power at lower temps with a turbo and less /relative/ fuel input.

Also, on my(banks turboed) '88, I'd never see beyond 800F, unless I was towing or hauling. A big hill might start it climbing, but the hill was usually over before it hit the 900F mark.

Cruising on the highway? I averaged 500-600 depending on conditions.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher EGTs(for the same power output) in a IDI tend to mean retarded(or advanced, but usually retarded) timing overall.

Obviously, a richer burn(more fuel compared to air input) will result in higher temps, so you can actually make more power at lower temps with a turbo and less /relative/ fuel input.

Also, on my(banks turboed) '88, I'd never see beyond 800F, unless I was towing or hauling. A big hill might start it climbing, but the hill was usually over before it hit the 900F mark.

Cruising on the highway? I averaged 500-600 depending on conditions.

So retarded timing is where it wants to be? My truck sounds like it's way to advanced but I can't get the advanced sound to go away it's quieter but doesn't sounds like I think it should.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online