Ebay Hydroboost

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I found this on Ebay item number 120214208119 for $35.00 so far. You can't touch it for that amount plus it has the master cylinder with it. That m/c has a core of $50.00 at Nappa... No, I'm not selling it but I do have two of them on my spare parts bench.....:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some feel its like hitting a block wall. It will introduce you to your windshield easily. When I changed mine over the differance was unbelieveable. Just ask towcat how he likes his and several others have done it Typ4 has it and enjoys the positive stopping power.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
It can also be very dangerous from what my dad has told me. Some of the early models you could not feel any feedback from the pedal and it would just lock up the brakes. Apparently they lost 3 trucks at the construction company he was working at that way. Hauling a bobcat or a rubber tired backhoe with a pickup, guy hits the brakes and unexpectedly the trucks would spin out, jack knife and one even slid into a power pole on top of it all.
So just be careful

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of that before!! Sounds like not enough weight on the rear axle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Or some driver just was asleep at the switch. Any brake will stop you unexpectely if you don't watch what you are doing. Mine are tuff as nils when it comes to stopping power. These hydroboost pumps have around 2200 lbs of pressure available to stop you. The stock vacuum system brakes.... Maybe 1000 lbs. For my money I'll take more and be really happy I have enough to stop me anytime I need it... The ABS helps some but its really not all that good a system either. My rears wont lock up when I hit the brakes hard. They do that pulsation thing with the brake peddle but thats how its designed. The rears are locking and unlocking just like the big rigs. ever see those funny skid marks in the road from a big rig???

sign_man

Reaction score
My F-Superduty bucket truck will out stop my 95 gasser F-250 every time.

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Is this a direct bolt on? Do I have to make any special brackets? My truck stops like crap, and if this would help, god would it be nice!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a direct bolt on? Do I have to make any special brackets? My truck stops like crap, and if this would help, god would it be nice!!!
It's essentially a bolt-in.
check out the write-up Monte did in the "tech articles"
if you don't like redrilling your brake pedal arm 1/2" up then find a pedal arm off a f450.
added in edit....
it "appears" to be one off a '99 and up truck. there might be compatibility issues with the fittings.

Last edited:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the upgrade with the larger master cylinder last year. 100% better than the vacuum system, wish I had done it years ago.

This is the write-up by Monte that Towcat is referring to.

The only difference is I used Edelmann hoses 71416 and 71442 which fit without modifications. Also, the seal kit for the power steering pump housing is E1AZ-3B584-A.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get one of those units too. If anybody has one to sell, give a hollar.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's essentially a bolt-in.
check out the write-up Monte did in the "tech articles"
if you don't like redrilling your brake pedal arm 1/2" up then find a pedal arm off a f450.
added in edit....
it "appears" to be one off a '99 and up truck. there might be compatibility issues with the fittings.
good point on the '99 and up. Mine came off an older 92 F450 and the brake line fittings were the same.