early model inline fuel heaters

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the heater on the hardline from the lift pump to the filter head on my '85, is there a good way to tell if these are working properly besides checking voltage from the harness? Also, i've got an extra one from another complete 6.9 in my garage and im thinking of putting it inline just after the tank selector with a switch in the cab for those really cold days, good idea or no?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well it can't hurt anything. Problem is they usually don't work plus we have never figured out what if anything they actually do. Factory told us the key must be on for something like 7 or 8 minutes BEFORE we attamp any start. Even if we did that how long afterwards is the heater actually running. Even if it was running fine.. Is it really doing anything. We have removed them and found nor felt any changes good or not.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He's talking the in line one.
My 6.2 has one.
From my research, it's self regulated and receives power all the time. But only comes on at a certain temp.
I would do some testing to see when it works, difference in temp it makes, etc.
Personally, I don't think you need it. Unless you've had gelling problems in the past. Of which can be fixed with a additive.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this is an apples and oranges type of comparison, but....

My 03 6.0 came from the factory with a fuel heater in the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module - Fuel Lift Pump, Primary Fuel Filter, Water Separator, and Fuel Heater). My heater has been unhooked for at least 5 years now (I was troubleshooting a battery drain, and that was one possible source). I pulled the fuse, and have not bothered to put it back. I,ve not had any fuel gel issues here in the North and I have seen in the -teens F. The newer 6.0's and all replacement HFCM's do not include a heater. Not really sure why they ever put one in......

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see, i doubt mine is even working it never feels even warm to the touch, i just figured if nothing else they would lower fuel viscosity and maybe make it easier on the ip.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ It's not apples and oranges at all; it's totally relevant. I just read that starting in '05, there was no more fuel heater. And as anyone in the OBS PSD world knows, disconnecting the fuel heater is a common practice, since it shorts out. These fuel systems were all designed back when disco sucked, and diesel was not nearly as stable at winter temperatures as it is today. Esp. with anti-gel additives like Power Service and Stanadyne, there's really no need for a fuel heater anymore. I guess what we gave up in lubricity, we gained in stability.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The problem is... Why were they plumbed inline in the first place? If anything you want to heat the filter. Once Ford figured that out (7.3's) they put the heating element in the fuel filter head which also doesn't make sense--when you make soup you put the heat under the pot because it works. So why they put the heat source above the filter I haven't a clue :dunno LOL

Sorry for the rant. To answer your question I don't know. I'd think you would be able to put a heat probe/gun on it and see. Even in working condition I doubt they get very hot..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On the 6.2, it goes between the secondary filter mounted on the back of the intake and the injector pump.
Also a note on the 7.3 powerstroke setup. The fuel runs through passages in the heads, then returns back through the filter before going back to the tank. So the fuel stays heated. Which imo, makes the factory one pointless.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once Ford figured that out (7.3's) they put the heating element in the fuel filter head which also doesn't make sense--when you make soup you put the heat under the pot because it works. So why they put the heat source above the filter I haven't a clue :dunno LOL

On the 7.3 fuel pumped into the filter housing hits the heater first then the filter element. Heating inbound fuel is the commmon thought between an inline and the factory 7.3 setup, although I don't understand why they did it that way either. Stock 7.3 heaters are barely 15 watts... many folks with harsh winters don't even use them...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin