E4OD swap in question

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to hear from the voices of experience on this please.

Just located an E4OD trans from a 97 F250 diesel 2wd for a good price. Before I buy it, what has to be added / done / to make it work in a 92 F 250, 7.3,2wd. that presently has an old and tired C6 trans?

I've never done this swap, perhaps someone here has. Both the 99 F350 and the 2000 F350 I owned had the E4OD trans and I liked how it worked.. so considering it... not locked into it..

Electronics that need to be changed and added? Help appreciated. Will reward with beer .. ;) ;Sweet

BTW, engine is coming out of the 92 for a head gasket, reseal, and fix it before it breaks, session.. ideal time to swap trans..
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm no expert on this swap but you are needing several sensors. some E4OD trans have the electronic speedometer that picks up its signal from the differential. Be sure what trans you have before purchase. the E4OD needs a tach signal. a speedometer signal be it from a cable or the speed sensor in the differential. I think there are 2 more senders but can't recall them.There is the cpu and harness plus the TPS on the side of the injection pump. Some that have done this C6 to E4OD swap used the Bauman controller.

gandalf

Reaction score
This is going into a '92? You're pulling a sick C-6? The '92 was not born with a C-6, so the question is what transmission was in it before the C-6? If it was originally an E4OD then you should have a much easier job than if it had manual. So, what was in it originally?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from a c6 trans it's going to be some work.driveshaft length differences? cross member differences?

you can go with a diesel version of the 4r100 or any of the diesel e4ods.since you'll need an aftermarket controller,like pointed out by Gary,you can use the solenoid pack in that '97 if you wish.

you'll need a 4 stud diesel converter to go with the trans of your choice.

your '92 axle sports the tone ring and sensor and you have a psom.

the trans will come with the range sensor.the aftermarket controller comes with a new wiring harness,though maybe sold separately?

im sure there's more.the tps bracket and sensor,like Gary already said.easy swap.

if you wanted to try and save some more coin;
source a used idi trucks w/ e4od trans' TECA and harness.then swap in an 89-94 solenoid pack in place of the later version.-this is what id do because i like the 93+ TECA controllers + im too cheap to spring for an aftermarket controller.:D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
92 should have a E4OD, unless it was special ordered with a C6. Double check before you go crazy The swap will get more involved with a C6.
If you have a 92 with a E4, then the swap is real easy.

You will need a 4 stud converter and swap the solenoid pack to a pre 95 part..

99 and up is a 4R100.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going into a '92? You're pulling a sick C-6? The '92 was not born with a C-6, so the question is what transmission was in it before the C-6? If it was originally an E4OD then you should have a much easier job than if it had manual. So, what was in it originally?

it could of been (and probably was,since it's in there). did you know a ford truck could be optionally ordered with a c6 all through 1996?
i know.crazy and kinda rare but,the trucks are out there.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded so far. I knew this group had way more details than I did.

!. My error.. the 99 and 00 trucks did have the 4R100 ... oops.. Thanks.
2. I may not be correct in the 92 having a C6, apparently.. I'm a manual trans kinda guy, so confess I wouldn't know a C6 if it bit me on the ass. I "presumed" it was a C6.... Could it be an E4OD? How do I tell? New truck, bought it to build it up.. got busy with other stuff so haven't really spent much time looking it over..

Thanks again, guys.. in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.. so .. blind here.. "need a seeing eye 92 expert" to figure out what I have and which way to jump..

The 2wd E4OD trans is a new rebuild that's been setting on a guys shelf, he is going upside down on his business .. $300... seems like the right deal if I can use it.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh.3 easy ways.

1.door jam sticker trans code: E = e4od.
2.od cancle shift atthe end of the shift lever = e4od.
3.trans pans reads "METRIC" in large letters = e4od.

edit; wait i gotta add a 4th easy way:
4.drive it.if it shifts 2 times and all that's all there is = c6.:D

since you guessed it was a c6,your most likely mistaken.:D which is very good news.grab the '97 e4.switch out your solenoid pack from your trans,bolt it into the '97.grab a reman diesel,4 stud converter and run it like your stole it for $300!

don't ya like finding a $3,000 trans for $300? :D

Last edited:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahahha.. yes I do... only question is.. do I have to turn myself in to the police for stealing it at that price or do I get a "Hillary get out of jail free card"?

Hate to take undue advantage of anyone, but the guy made the price, I have it in my pocket.. seems like the right deal if it is an easy fit.. going to check door tag right now on the 92.. big thanks on that tip..

Wish me luck.. ha.

Edit: 5 minutes later...
Well.. slap my forehead and call me stupid.. I'm in the money...
1. It has the button on the shiftier for OD
2. Trans code on door tag says "E" ..

Big thanks !!!;Sweet

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
for $300 it wont matter what trans is in there right now.you know what will be going in! lol.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point on that !!

Since I'm going to put a fresh job on the engine to clean up PO's abuse and poor maintenance, it's the perfect time to plug in a fresh overhauled trans.. timing is just right..

Trans is still shrink wrapped and plugged from the overhaul, setting on it's own little dust covered pallet, up on the pallet rack at the guys shop...don't know the whole story as to why it didn't get used, but the shop is closing down for lack of work and profit.. may as well "help them out".. by getting rid of the trans that didn't sell.. right?

Thanks, guys... you all really made my day !!!!

gandalf

Reaction score
For $300 you can't go wrong. Even if you didn't want to use it you could turn around and flip it for a profit. Fresh rebuild is worth more than that $300.

Since the C-6 is a replacement for the original E4OD, there is every chance that the necessary controller is still there, along with a wiring harness. That would save you some bucks.;Sweet Look behind the driver's side kick panel, behind the parking brake pedal, for the controller. I think that's where it is. Regardless of all else, you'll still have to change out the drive shaft since the C-6 is a different length.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the auto smart folks here, it's now determined I have a E4OD trans in the 92, NOT a C6, which I guessed I had..So life just got a bunch easier.

At $300, it's a done deal, install it and drive it like I stole it..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just a helpful suggestion if you plan installing this yourself. This weighs around 300 lbs. And please measure how tall the trans is cause you need to lift the truck by at least that much to fit it under the truck. Nearly every floor jack will lift to 17 or 18 inches. With my E4OD on a trans hydraulic jack I needed around 29 or 30 inches of clearance. I was not able to get that so I turned the front wheels to lock and as I slide the tran under I lifted the tail end to allow the front end to fit under the lowest part of my truck. Was touch and go for a bit but it went under. Support the engine with a piece of plywood on the oil pan and cut a hole in the wood for the drain area. you want good support on the pan. not a small area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online