E4OD problems

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright! Thanks for the info. I ordered a TC last night from this guy http://www.torqueconverter1.com/Products.html
He has a good rep on ebay. I got a heavy duty single clutch low stall. $225 shipped. I spoke with him, real nice. Talked me out of a triple disc so I figure he is honest. Just made a simple strong back puller because neither pump would come out (figure I may be able to use the old pump? not sure how to qualify it). I'll let you know what I find.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got the pump out. Anything I should know about "splitting the pump"? Am I just pulling the bolts?
I'm hoping to get er back together and installed as soon as the TC gets her (Friday), so I don't want to wait for a book. The unit looks good inside being I don't know the specs to mic anything. Fresh assembly lube. The pump bolts had sealer on them not the stuff under the head, but the pump gasket was clean.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it worth pulling anything out to check? quality of clutches or such? Or would I be opening a can of worms? I don't have any special tools but I would like to know what I'm depending on :)

Is there a way to check the life of the solenoid pack? Just figure while it's open...

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the pump gear was installed backwards! When I split the pump, first it looked like the center gear was not lined up to accept the TC hub, maybe so, but when I tried to put the gear on the old TC (the new one's hub has four flats now, almost square), it only fits chamfer up, however it was installed chamfer down. If that's the case, I should be able to pop it back together, no? The inner gear has 10 teeth, that's the upgraded one right?
Now, if it was installed wrong, should I trust the rest of the overhaul? The unit came from a mechanic at a school bus shop. He said it was on the shelf, rebuilt 5 years ago but they got rid of all the 7.3's. He gave me name of rebuild shop but they are no longer in business :eek:

in oldbull's pic it looked like chamfer was up...maybe time to order the book :dunno

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, looks like chamfer on gear is supposed to go down as it was installed correctly.
Found this thread, very helpful to have pics! http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?6883-E4OD-rebuild

Looks like my gear is deformed a little. Hub pushed on the inside notches and deformed them a little. Looks like a file would clean them up. I may try this.
You must be registered for see images attach

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ok, looks like chamfer on gear is supposed to go down as it was installed correctly.
Found this thread, very helpful to have pics! http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?6883-E4OD-rebuild

Looks like my gear is deformed a little. Hub pushed on the inside notches and deformed them a little. Looks like a file would clean them up. I may try this.
You must be registered for see images attach

No broken gerotor, that's good. Clean it up then reinstal it with a little lube.

Make sure when you reassemble the two halves are lined up perfectly. You can be creative with a hose clamp. The banding tool is a big hose clamp.
If your fingers are really good you can feel around the pump. Once the two halves are good. Tighten the bolts to 18-23 FT LBS. Starting in the center work out.

While you have the pump out. Change the factory gray front seal to a Viton version Precision #16601EV. If the seal is black or dark purple. disregard this.

Your pump is an F pump ( F5). This is the updated pump of the era.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be very carefull when re-assembling the pump halves, they must be lined up perfect or you will destroy the pump gerotor. Go to Lowes or someplace like that and get a large "hose" clamp, large/long enough to fit around the outside of the pump, clamp it before tightening the bolts.Then make sure the pump rotates freely before installing.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the alignment tool for the pump. Make one similar out of a long hose clamp. If you have the 2nd gear old band, it might fit to align the pump.

Attachments

• pumpalign tool.jpg
    pumpalign tool.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 36

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the pump. I should be able to handle making an alignment tool:)
Having a problem sourcing the pump seal Trackspeeder recommends. The one in the pump is blue seal and maybe gray metal but hard to tell.
Nappa has a green seal #19966

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the pump. I should be able to handle making an alignment tool:)
Having a problem sourcing the pump seal Trackspeeder recommends. The one in the pump is blue seal and maybe gray metal but hard to tell.
Nappa has a green seal #19966

Leave the seal. Blue is good. :D

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got the tranny in Sunday. Two months waiting for a chance to install it!
All is working well (after I found I didn't have the solenoid plug properly seated)
Reverse is a little sloppy. Rolls back too easy when on slight hill in drive, but I guess I have to live with that.
Thanks for all the support getting her going!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online