E4OD problems

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 94 E 350 with a 7.3 IDI and E4OD
Started leaking tranny fluid from bell housing cover. first through a tube on bottom of cover, then a lot coming out all around cover.
I was told it could be front bushing walking out and pushing seal out or "pump capsule" venting when hot.
Any ideas?
Just got the van, only put 1000 miles on it.
It's a short school bus with 130k on rebuilt tranny.

Is this drain tube welded to the botom of the flywheel cover stock or is this a mod? If a mod then it must have leaked before which is an issue. But bus company seemed to be honest good guys.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Is this drain tube welded to the botom of the flywheel cover stock or is this a mod? If a mod then it must have leaked before which is an issue. But bus company seemed to be honest good guys.

Sorry i am not of much help but i do know that the tube is stock.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well That IS a help.
At least now I can stop thinking maybe it was such a problem the bus company installed a drain tube! They said they never had an issue. they seem honest but with only 1000 miles on it (less than 200 when problem started) I was a bit skeptical.
Thanks

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I do not know a lot about these trannies but i bet your suspision of the front bearing and seal problem is the answer.

More knowledgeable people will chime in soon enough.

Things around here are kind of slow this weekend b/c a good number of members here are at the IDI rally.

Oh and ah by the way WELCOME;Sweet
This is the best forum on the web for these trucks and there are a ton of people here will to help you out.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a photo of that tube? I've never heard of anything like that before.

My best guess based on what you're describing is that the front seal has failed. It can be due to overheating, dirt tearing the lip, or the bushing in the transmission going bad.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Failed pump seal. It could be from a worn pump bushing. It could have failed from heat.

There is a Viton replacement seal available. Precision #16601EV. You can find this seal at a good parts store.

Some of the E4OD's have a drain tube welded to the dust cover. Most don't.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The odd thing is I bought it with no signs of oil under it. Drove 100+ miles no problem, 1st hwy trip and tube ******* oil. Next Hwy trip loose all the oil. Just doesn't make sense to show up in my 1st 1000 miles... well thinking about it, has been bus companies spare for last few years and parked most of time. But it was moved and used.

Do the folks that run IDI's for KISS reasons run the E4OD's or do they pull them out? Guess I can't convert a van to a standard can I?
Anyone know if a 95' E350 w/power stroke has the same tranny? Can I just plug it in?
I heard a place called bryants garage builds real good trannys, maybe I'll get a quote. Anyone know of other good builders? It has 130k on it. But then again, I'm tight on cash after buying this rig and converting it to WVO.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and thanks for the replies. I'll try to get a pic of the tube if you still want it.
Anyway to tell if the seal is failed without dropping the tranny?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The powerstroke transmission would have to be lightly modified to fit your truck. The torque converter is different, as is the solenoid body. Swap those over from your pre powerstroke IDI diesel, and it should work.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The odd thing is I bought it with no signs of oil under it. Drove 100+ miles no problem, 1st hwy trip and tube ******* oil. Next Hwy trip loose all the oil. Just doesn't make sense to show up in my 1st 1000 miles... well thinking about it, has been bus companies spare for last few years and parked most of time. But it was moved and used.

Do the folks that run IDI's for KISS reasons run the E4OD's or do they pull them out? Guess I can't convert a van to a standard can I?
Anyone know if a 95' E350 w/power stroke has the same tranny? Can I just plug it in?
I heard a place called bryants garage builds real good trannys, maybe I'll get a quote. Anyone know of other good builders? It has 130k on it. But then again, I'm tight on cash after buying this rig and converting it to WVO.

Sounds like the tranny over heated. You should add a temp gauge if you haven't already.

Personally, I like the E4OD. So the only swap I would do is a 4R100.:D

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the tranny over heated. You should add a temp gauge if you haven't already.

Outside temp was about 80 deg. I only drove 65 with no real load but wife and little little ones... And my wife is small.
Maybe the cooler is clogged?
Whats the difference with a 4R100?

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the tranny overheats it will blow out all it's fluid?
Or do you suspect the converter seal failed due to the heat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle