e4od problem

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my od light flashes when reversing up a hill or with anymore throttle than just rolling back....noticed some clutch burning smell today while backing out of a friends driveway that has lots of slope...
does this signal complete rebuild or just clutch replace...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible you overheated the transmission. Have you noticed any leaks at the front yet?

What does the fluid look like?

E4ODs don't like to back up under a lot of load unless you have the gears to do it at low throttle. Using lots of engine RPM near 0 MPH produces massive amounts of heat at the torque converter. Also, automatics don't have a single clutch to replace, there are several "wet clutches" in the E4OD and they can only be replaced during a complete rebuild.

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has leaked a little, put half a quart in it yesterday...first noticed the od light flashing two weeks ago..only does it in reverse under load. if i baby it may it last a while?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have an Aux. cooler? Do you have a temp. gage? If so what is the tranny temp. when backing? Shouldn't go over 210* when backing.

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know i don't have a temp gauge and i don't think i have an ext cooler either....and the low/reverse clutch is def. slipping...doubt it's simply from overheating....

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and my gearing is 4.10...so that's about as good as it gets for a 3/4 ton for working under load isn't it?

thinking of getting a reman e40d with upgrades or chasing down the parts for a zf5 swap...

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
littl history on the truck....bought it a month ago from the dead owners daughter for 1900...replaced front brakes and calipers, steering column, and tires...good to go...but she had sat for five years...probly should've flushed all the fluids and had her serviced before driving her back to southeast ak from anchorage...bout 1000 miles in all...trans started acting up in whitehorse, yokon terr.... od only flashes when in reverse under load...im suspecting that it would do the same in first gear with a signifigant load...not sure what i can do to prevent/correct this...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
littl history on the truck....bought it a month ago from the dead owners daughter for 1900...replaced front brakes and calipers, steering column, and tires...good to go...but she had sat for five years...probly should've flushed all the fluids and had her serviced before driving her back to southeast ak from anchorage...bout 1000 miles in all...trans started acting up in whitehorse, yokon terr.... od only flashes when in reverse under load...im suspecting that it would do the same in first gear with a signifigant load...not sure what i can do to prevent/correct this...

1st and reverse aren't the same. Even the gear ratio is different if you can believe it:rolleyes:

It could be a leaking piston seal for the reverse clutch. That could bleed enough fluid pressure to keep the clutch from grabbing all the way. That gives you the slipping and overheating. Although I don't want to harp too much on over heating unless you are able to measure the temperature somehow.

If you can, avoid reversing until you can afford to get things sorted. A fluid and filter change might buy you some time, and you may also want to check the cooler to see if it flows freely. If it doesn't, then its another clue that points to overheating. A restricted cooler alone could cause some of those problems and correcting it will help.

If you decide to get a rebuild, Jasper comes with a 100,00 mile warranty or 3 years.

http://www.jasperengines.com/transmissions.php

Thats not bad. Not bad at all.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you haven't changed the fluid in the tranny yet, that's the first thing you should do. Put in some kind of a tranny cleaner in and go by there directions. Might just be all gummed up.

If you ever get stuck in or by Whitehorse with engine trouble, go to, forgot the name but it starts with H Mechanical, that guy really knows his stuff on the PSD's and IDI Ford engines.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I bought a Ford re-man. Came with a 3 year 75.000 mile warranty (includes labor).
I've had no problems with it, but it was kinda expensive!

Chuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online