E4OD conversion

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I found a 97 model E4od with computer, what would be involved in putting that in my 89 and throwing the c-6 away

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From research for my aborted atempt: Standalone electronics (may already be), longer front driveshaft, shorter rear drive shaft, OD control in the cab, relocated crossmember, sensor on the IP.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm doing - just scored a GV 1356 adapter. I waffled for the longest time between the e40d and the ZF - but when I put everything up on a spreadsheet and looked at the costs for all the parts and factored in time, it was only "cheaper" than a reman GV unit if I did nothing to ensure that whatever I put in was in good shape. If dyoung has a known good e40 with all the components, he's way ahead, though.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when contemplating between a ZF5/E40D swap in place of the C6,or placing a GV OD unit behind a C6,it's important to remember this;

1. the C6 doesn't lock up directly.no locking TC = old school.higher rpms,more heat in the trans all the time,higher rpms than a unit with direct lockup.

2. no OD while in 4x4 with the GV OD unit.
(if your thinking,oh well,i don't need to drive fast enough for OD in the snow.TC lockup is around 35 mph,and OD just soon after around 40.-depending on how hard your taking off of course.there are lots of times when you want 4x4 but the roads are good enough for 40-45 mph or higher.)

when it comes to dropping rpm's and your main quest is fuel economy.the C6's lack of a locking TC will never be as good as a ZF5 manual or E40D auto.
consider this when comparing prices.the longer you plan on owning the truck-the more cost effective it will be to swap in an actual OD trans.making it much cheaper than a GV over time.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you on those points - but for my purposes didn't see that big an advantage to a lockup. If I were doing frequent heavy towing, I'd be in a ZF in a heartbeat and would pay to do it. But I have a pretty new C6 in it already, they're reliable as hell, and can just decided I can live without the lockup as long as I get the 20% increase in mileage with the GV. I'm also pretty psyched to have another gear in that gaping hole between 2nd and 3rd. But every application is a different set of circumstances.

sorry dyoung, we hijacked the hell out of your thread. I'd only add to make sure you can use the torque converter out of your '97 - not sure if those are different than IDIs. Good luck.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the computer for 1997 will be a standalone type since everything ford sold back then was already fully PCM integrated. There might be a way to trick the computer into thinking its still wired into a powerstroke but I'm not sure if and how it can be done.

Other options would be to get an older IDI style transmission controller with a matching solendoid body and wiring it up as per a 1992-1994 IDI, or go with a complete aftermarket setup from baumann ($$$).

Also don't forget that since 1997 was a powerstroke setup, the torque converter will be a six stud instead of a 4 stud. The IDI flexplate is a 4 stud.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The 97 PCM will not work in this application.

The best way to go is a stand alone controller. You could rob the electronics from a 90-94 F series. For the amount of work, go aftermarket.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The 97 PCM will not work in this application.

The best way to go is a stand alone controller. You could rob the electronics from a 90-94 F series. For the amount of work, go aftermarket.

Wonder if you could have the flexplate drilled for the 6 bolt?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
2. no OD while in 4x4 with the GV OD unit.
(if your thinking,oh well,i don't need to drive fast enough for OD in the snow.TC lockup is around 35 mph,and OD just soon after around 40.-depending on how hard your taking off of course.there are lots of times when you want 4x4 but the roads are good enough for 40-45 mph or higher.)

Everybody says this, but if you go to there site and look they make an OD for the F-SuperDuty that goes between the trans and parking break, why wouldn't that work between the trans and transfer case?
Not directly pointed at FORD250HDXLT, but just pondering.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Everybody says this, but if you go to there site and look they make an OD for the F-SuperDuty that goes between the trans and parking break, why wouldn't that work between the trans and transfer case?
Not directly pointed at FORD250HDXLT, but just pondering.

Good question