E4OD & Banks Transcommand really hard shift

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
If you are not comcerned about reading the codes that are causing the OD light to flash, you can disconnect both batteries and the codes will clear. The OD light should stop flashing.

GONZO86

Reaction score
SHOP

Going by the tranny shop in the am so they can read the codes, Dealer wanted $75 and leave it all day. Tranny shop said swing by any time takes 5 min. FREE.

Found the paper work and the tranny was rebuilt 40K ago, hopefully its a cheap fix.

thanks
Rod

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Idle needs to be 1.05 to 1.1 So your still a little high at idle. Disconnect the batts to clear the codes. It will shift better once you clear the codes. A mis adjusted FIPL will give the codes FIPL out of range and torque converter slippage or something in that neighborhood. Don't let them tell you it needs TQ converter until you get the FIPL dialed in.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The tranny does not store codes so the only thing that disconnecting the batteries will do is cause you to have to input the time again on the radio.

I can't remember if anyone has asked or if it has been mentioned... How is the tach reacting? Is it reading good and solid? if not it will give problems like a FIPL out of range.

GONZO86

Reaction score
tach

The tach is good never any issues. Reads good and steady.

The FIPL was replaced when the tranny was rebuilt, 40k ago.

The back bolt for me is a PAin to get because of the ATS turbo air clearer Box. The curve on the left side of the FIPL is almost at the top. and the right side is at the bottom. I need a side rachet torx.

according to Ford TSB they say the range is good 1.05-1.2 wot 3.8-4.3

Once this gets dialed in will the OD light just stop flashing?

I will see what the tranny shop says in the am.

Thanks for all the info, you IDI guys are allot better than the 6.0 or the ******'s crew I used to talk with.

Rod

GONZO86

Reaction score
TRANNY SHOP

Went to the tranny shop and hooked her up to a scanner, pulled 2 codes:

FIPL out of range and torque converter slippage 3 to 4

The guy asked how much my truck was worth, I told him it was free but I had to drop a new engine in her.

He told me to Sell it as soon as possible because when those codes come up its a major deal.

After he pulled the codes the OD light quit flashing and shifts good till 3rd to 4th.

I will look into a new FIPL or try harder to dial this one in.

thanks
ROd

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Get the FIPL set then see if the codes for the slippage come back. because the tc lock up is determined by many factors including FIPL voltage.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
A mis adjusted FIPL will give the codes FIPL out of range and torque converter slippage or something in that neighborhood. Don't let them tell you it needs TQ converter until you get the FIPL dialed in.
I agree with Travis. ;Sweet

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Yep, I've seen this too. Also I've seen the MLPS (manual lever posistion sensor) and the connector on the right side of the trans cause all sorts of problems. I'd replace both (there's an updated connector available) for peace of mind before even thinking about a TQ. If the trans is in limp mode (it goes into a weird mode when it gets a trouble code to try to keep from killing itself) it will shift reallly hard.

good luck

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These shops will always tell you that you need a new transmission. Then you buy a new one and it does the same thing, because the old sensor is still there....

I had an old wore out E250 that the TCC slipped so much that it finally finished burning out. Other than the clutch material it dumps into the fluid, you can live without the TCC. In fact, there is a mod on this board to disable the TCC for city driving.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
Also I've seen the MLPS (manual lever posistion sensor) and the connector on the right side of the trans cause all sorts of problems. I'd replace both (there's an updated connector available) for peace of mind before even thinking about a TQ. If the trans is in limp mode (it goes into a weird mode when it gets a trouble code to try to keep from killing itself) it will shift reallly hard.

good luck

Yep, MLPS went out on mine and it shifted very hard.