E40D Transgo tugger kit = modifying of the solenoid pack? & which transgo for f450?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E40D Transgo tugger kit = modifying of the solenoid pack?

the f250:
i had my trans rebuilt with the tugger kit installed.i then latter installed a new (not reman) solenoid pack because it didn't get replaced during the reman and the pins down in the e-plug were nasty.so i figured id just replace it along with a new repair harness and i did.that cured all electrical issues.
however i just came across this info.see pic attached.do i need to remove the pack and mod it?
what does modding the pack as described do?
do ours for 100% have or not have the EX hole? what will happen if it doesn't and i don't pull it and drill the multi holes?
the pic with directions are for the E4OD-HD2 - NOT the tugger kit.
does the tugger also share the same modification though? - im figuring so,and why im asking.i found this here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/738064-transgo-e4od-hd2-d-install-article.html

the f450:
now since im asking about that,i might as well get an opinion about what to do with log truck.keep in mind,she's got 5:13 gearing and im guessing a shift kit is emphasized with lower gearing.though i love the shifts kicking my teeth.;)
i don't want to pull the trans.i know the front pump mods are awesome too,but i just don't want to do it.(if the time comes and she requires a reman,then it'll get a complete tugger then but i suspect a reman already.more to come in the log truck thread when i get here.)
with this in mind,what do i go with:
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?cat=E4OD_4R100&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=80&parent_id=80

Attachments

• TransgoE4OD-HD2-D003.jpg
    TransgoE4OD-HD2-D003.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know exactly what they mean by HD "heavy duty", there has been quite a few up dates thru the years on the E4OD. I bought quite a few up date parts, maybe a couple of years ago plus the HD2 Transgo and tugger kit, got boxes full, just don't remember what I got to build a E4OD thats been setting here for 3-4 yrs. I do know there have been changes in the valve bodies, needle thrust bearings, center support, valve springs, pump, added clutch plates and better seals. Had a whole document on building it, but lost it when my puter crashed. Just have to get at it one of these days.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh im talking just very specifically about the two transgo "reprogramming" kits.
it's a long shot question about a solenoid pack design as to weather or not the castings are made a specific way for our year e40d's.just trying to avoid a little needless work of dropping the pan on the f250,removing the new solenoid pack i installed,flipping it over only to reveal it's got the "EX" hole as noted in the above pics and requires no drilling of a bunch of little holes at all.
besides this,i don't even know as if the "tugger" kit has these mods.i think so,as im understanding the tugger does what the "HD2" kit does and more.
(plus it's got me very curious as to what modding the s pack does,if it doesn't have the "EX".)

i may need to just take it out and look at it,but im hoping to cheat lol!
hoping to catch trackspeeder here as i know he runs the tugger.will anyone know if 89-94 s packs all have the EX hole though? i bet that's gunna be a tough call but worth a shot..............thinking to myself; glad i installed the 4r100 pan w/drain plug while installing that s pack.;)

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To me there is nothing worse than an auto trans pan without a drain plug in it. When we find a pan that has no drain plug in it supposedly the pan bolts have 2 that are longer than the rest of the pan bolts. The idea of 2 longer bolts is to allow us the remove all but those 2 corner bolts and then loosen them gradually and watch the atf flow out a corner on the pan as it drops down. A neet idea but surely a drain plug is a better idea.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ok, as for the two TransGo kits HD2 and Tugger kits are identical as for the mods. Tugger kit will address the snap rings that like to fall out. :eek:

What the drill holes do is allow for a better fluid flow. You could get away with not doing anything. You have the full effect from your kit.

As for the solenoid pack. Rule of thumb pre 95 requires no drilling. Post 95 usually does. But,,,, Reman packs and new packs could be anything. Best thing to do is give it a yank. Yes the tranny fluid bath can suck.LOL

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah ok.thanks man.so this is something that can wait until warm weather then.just because the builder installed a tugger kit,and then me replacing the solenoid pack (unmodded) it isn't going to hurt the trans even if it doesn't have the EX hole,and i didn't drill the little holes out.very good.phew.

so then for the f450,
unless your removing and rebuilding the trans,it's pointless to buy the tugger kit.save the money, buy the HD2,and just install what i can of that from dropping the goods from below and not mess with the pump mods cus im not dropping a trans this time of year lol.then if ever she requires a reman down the line,the rebuilder can tugger the old gal at that time.
got my game plan then,unless im misunderstanding anything.thank you.;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be very tempted to leave chip truck as is. If it works good, don't mess with it. I'm thinking that considering all the work you do with that truck, if something wasn't quite right with the solenoid pack by now you'd know it.

I don't recall drilling any holes in my accumulator body or solenoid pack. What I did drill holes in was the separator plate under the accumulator body, for reasons described by trackspeeder - better fluid flow aka faster clutch engagement, during 1-2 and 2-3 in particular IIRC. The transgo kit manual won't tell you which holes to drill, I was following the VB channels and fluid pathways and making my own edumacated guesses. It worked good and fixed my dragged-out WOT upshifts, at partial throttle there was no noticeable difference either way and shifts were nice and crisp.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,ill heck it out in a few months when it warms up.i don't mind modding when i know there are advantages to gain.:D
iv installed a few shift kits,and they are "rough" but provide enough instruction to figure out where to drill and what to replace.i hate it cus its so tedious,time consuming and a bit nerve racking your gunna drop and lose things,but im always happy when its back together and snapping into the next gear.
could hardly feel the f450 shift.couldn't believe it.i towed the f250 home,so i didn't really drive it without a shift kit.i heard the e40d's in stock form shifted soft,but i didn't know they were invisible shifters lol.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
yeah,ill heck it out in a few months when it warms up.i don't mind modding when i know there are advantages to gain.:D
iv installed a few shift kits,and they are "rough" but provide enough instruction to figure out where to drill and what to replace.i hate it cus its so tedious,time consuming and a bit nerve racking your gunna drop and lose things,but im always happy when its back together and snapping into the next gear.
could hardly feel the f450 shift.couldn't believe it.i towed the f250 home,so i didn't really drive it without a shift kit.i heard the e40d's in stock form shifted soft,but i didn't know they were invisible shifters lol.

One of the things you have to remember out reprogramming (shift kit) instructions. They are written for a tranny shop. That is why they are kind of rough.

E4's stock suck. Just changing the accumulator valve will make them better.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online