E40D tail piece questions/swap

zachsquatch

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have been looking on these forums for quite a while and have gotten a ton of information regarding my trucks. I have a 1990 F250 with a 7.3 and my E40D just went down the crapper. I found a transmission online and the man that has it says it's rebuilt with like 10,000 miles and he's got documentation (I hope), but before I make the purchase, I need to consult your great minds!

I know that the 2x4 and 4x4 transmissions are not interchangeable without a lot of work, but he showed me pictures of the transmission and the tailpiece looks nothing like that of a 2x4 like he claims (I need it for a 4x4). The tail cone isn't there. He said that he had someone rebuild this unit and convert it over to 2x4. He said that I can swap my tail piece if needed and it will work on my truck...Without breaking into the innards. This sounds odd to me, but again, I'll have you all take a look at it and tell me what you see. This transmission is from an '89 model, do I just need to swap my solenoid pack to make it work right or just leave it as is. Also, I believe that this is from a 6.9L and I am under the impression that the mount patterns are the same. If you all can help me along prior to dropping change on this transmission, it would be a ton of help. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's a driveline brake.
Pretty sure you can just pull that off and throw on a transfer case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That transmission is out of an f super duty (f450) and is identical to a 4x4. All you'd have to do is unbolt and rebolt a transfer case.

If you'd want to keep it a 2 wheel drive then you might have to cut your driveshaft a little bit. And I'm pretty sure those have their own oil system, like a cup of gear oil or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I suggest you make sure of what you are purchasing. As already posted. That trans is from a 10 lug F superduty truck. Look closely at the trans wire harness plug. Its all broken. No matter what you will need to fix that. About the easy way to fix it is to use your solenoid pack.. But are you sure its working... You actually do not need to replace the solenoid pack because you are going from one year to another. But because you have a damaged part its better to fix it on the bench than under the truck. BTW you are in for plenty o work getting the truck high enough for the trans and the trans jack to slide under the truck. Figure around 29 inches of clearance. Even then you may have to drop the truck or engine down so the trans can meet up with the engine. I sure did and what a job that was working alone. the trans weighs around 350 lbs so do not think you can let it down by hand either. Remember to support the engine too. Its ******* the engine mounts to let it hang on them.

zachsquatch

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Community college students are putting it in. If I didn't trust their teacher, they wouldn't touch it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just remove the driveline brake. The solenoid pack will work for your truck. 89-94 share the same pack.

Solenoid pack main harness connection is all broken. It can be seen in the pics but yes.. The packs are the same as you posted. So did I...

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the pan is off. I'd be suspicious of why this great trans is sitting in leaves with no pan.

zachsquatch

Reaction score
It looks like it, but it's on there. Solenoid pack switching will not be a problem. I bought one for the truck about a year ago. So what's a good price for a transmission like this? Again, assuming he has the documentation that it was rebuilt last year. He said he did the ZF swap on the truck and no longer needed this unit. No receipt will result in a deal breaker though.

Does anyone know if the E40Ds were beefed up when put on the F-Super Duty?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
1989 was the first year of the E4OD trans. the engineers left out some important parts too like a main shaft support bearing. Any rebuilt trans is supposed to get that bearing but how can you tell if it actually was done. Planetary gear case was originally aluminum but latewr was upgraded to steel. I do not know all the upgrades but you can ask others. Might call Brians Truck Shop in Arkansas. Brian will know what is supposed to be upgraded during a rebuild.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It looks like it, but it's on there. Solenoid pack switching will not be a problem. I bought one for the truck about a year ago. So what's a good price for a transmission like this? Again, assuming he has the documentation that it was rebuilt last year. He said he did the ZF swap on the truck and no longer needed this unit. No receipt will result in a deal breaker though.

Does anyone know if the E40Ds were beefed up when put on the F-Super Duty?

FSuperduty is the same as any other big block or diesel E4OD. I would price it as a good core. $800 to a $1000 clams max with papers. Because it was "rebuilt" really doesn't mean a lot with out test driving the unit.

zachsquatch

Reaction score
FSuperduty is the same as any other big block or diesel E4OD. I would price it as a good core. $800 to a $1000 clams max with papers. Because it was "rebuilt" really doesn't mean a lot with out test driving the unit.

As it turns out, the unit was rebuilt in March of last year and is still under warranty, got the receipt. It has shy of 800 miles on it. I called the shop that did the rebuild just to confirm everything, including this main shaft bearing and they said that it was included. I dropped 500 for it and have someone willing to give 100 for the old case. I think it's going to work out. Thank you guys for your help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online