E-Fuel Conversion and New IP!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I think like what's been said. You need to get back to the basics to rule out all of the variables changed.
Fipl voltage readings @ idle and full throttle.
Did prior IP's also have high idle rpms shown on the dash also ?
Does it sound like its idling @900 rpms?
Rpm levels the trans is shifting during normal and wot throttle demands?
Boost level readings?
Fuel pressure readings?
I know you've said they're the same as before but it's difficult sifting thru all the posts.
My gut is telling me something is telling the trans to shift early this not allowing the engine rpms to get into peak power.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
FIPL - 1.09 idle...3.9x WOT

Prior IP's did not have any idle rpm adjustment issue. my old diesel care pump i could take down to 500rpm if i wanted to. i had that one running around 700-750.

yes, it honestly sounds like it is on cold/high idle, just without the clatter of the cold advance activated.

WOT shift point is up against the gov(3,400rpm). for the record when i say normal driving i mean doing what is needed to take off from a stop light while keeping up with traffic....so usually upper 2k's, it is not uncommon for it to hit 3,200rpm even driving normal.. i can get it to up-shift lower than that but i would get run over in traffic haha.

boost doesn't start to move until 2k rpm. i am at 5-7psi of boost by the time it up-shifts and loose about 3psi between shifts. that is normal driving.

fuel pressure - front tank runs about 6-7psi and rear runs about 7-8psi. pressure on both tanks drops to about 5 when on the throttle. no matter how hard i have been on it, i have never seen pressure drop below 5psi.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i really wish i had more info on my trans rebuild. all i know is it was rebuilt while under the ownership of the PO and a "shift kit" was put in it.
Can you get to PO and then find out where it was done?

BTW all the pressure you have for fuel "sounds good" however it does not mean it's sufficient VOLUME!

Maybe you've got a restriction some how in the system. I am throwing bones here seems that three IP's there is something amiss we have not hit on.

JM2CW

Al

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If the TPS voltage is set with a a high idle, the shift points ill be off. Some cases way off.

If your idle is 900 RPM the TCM will see that as if you were starting to accelerate. So shifts will be very early. Remember the factory shift strategy sucks. With RPM out of spec it will exaggerate the crappy shift points.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need to run a compression check. No boost, Down on power. Sounds like you may have a really worn engine.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Can you get to PO and then find out where it was done?

BTW all the pressure you have for fuel "sounds good" however it does not mean it's sufficient VOLUME!

Maybe you've got a restriction some how in the system. I am throwing bones here seems that three IP's there is something amiss we have not hit on.

JM2CW

Al
negative on the trans info.
this is pretty much the same exact e-fuel set up that is on Justin's truck that is making nearly 400whp....and on hundreds of psd making that kind of power as well.

If the TPS voltage is set with a a high idle, the shift points ill be off. Some cases way off.

If your idle is 900 RPM the TCM will see that as if you were starting to accelerate. So shifts will be very early. Remember the factory shift strategy sucks. With RPM out of spec it will exaggerate the crappy shift points.
the problem is that the IP will not idle lower than that. The throttle arm is bottomed out on the pump body. i went to the post office to send out the other pump, and my warm idle in park or drive is about 950 now.

You really need to run a compression check. No boost, Down on power. Sounds like you may have a really worn engine.
the thing though is that is runs effing great other than the low power. starts great in 0*F temps outside with no block heater. get's good mpg.

where do i get a compression tester for this thing? actually, i don't even want to know what compression is b/c i can't afford to get rid of this and buy anything else so i am stuck with it regardless.

besides if i had the fuel output with a worn out engine that couldn't burn it all, wouldn't i be turning the sky black? i have hardly any smoke. i seriously think i have another junk injection pump. I wish i had just gone with a Moose pump now. with the shipping cost of sending pumps and timing meters back and forth i could have had a moose pump. I wanted to try something different and got burnt. Looks like i took one for the team on this one.;Sweet

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
negative on the trans info.
this is pretty much the same exact e-fuel set up that is on Justin's truck that is making nearly 400whp....and on hundreds of psd making that kind of power as well.

Does that preclude a possible low flow faulty regulator? Or some other portion of your setup? Just curious?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Like Al suggested earlier, go back to a stock style lift pump and try ruling things out one variable to a time. IP's do strang things if their fuel pressure isn't withing specs and proper flow.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not very good news bud, i have been talking with your pump builders about a pump for my 7.3 but now i dont know. Seems i should just save some more and give mel a call. Im close to 3700 in my engine now, between resleeving, all the other machine work, needed new pistons blah blah blah list goes on, and i dont want to end up with issues!

Anywho. mechanical lift pump, a 2 dollar bucket and 2 feet of hose is all you need to rule out fuel feed issues. Run 5ft of return line into that same bucket. See if that helps with your idle issue? (my theory below on that)

I seem to remember reading (hope it was this thread, to much to sort through to be sure) some people voiced concern over your return system? the check valves or some such, and they could possibly push pressure back into the IP and make it do screwy things. Mayhaps thats your high idle issue?

I dont pretend to know much about these engines, Hell i know less than most here (but at least my engine builder knows them well!) but i have always followed KISS - keep it simple stupid. im sure you even have some old fuel lines, to use to run this, take maybe 15 minutes. worst that can happen is it idles the same. Or as mentioned bypass your pump for a mechanical, and take a quick drive, then throw a ****** return line on, and take a drive. when i was fighting with air intrusion on the bronco i reran feed and return in about 15 minutes. and was only about 60 bucks in hose (i assume you have some diesel rated fuel hose left over? or your old stuff when it got all replaced?) if you were a little closer then Michigan i would pop over and help ya rule things out!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
decided that i am gonna get a new mechanical lift pump, bypass the e-pump with a chunk of hose, and return my return lines back to stock. that will give me a stock/factory supply and return system with a new IP, will see what happens.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will be the best route! I think the new mech pump i got from advance auto cost like 17 bucks, and you can always take it back and say something like.... its only puttin out 3.5 PSI so you went with a different supplier, and need to return it. normally they will only give store credit this way... but im sure you will need something stupid down the road (i always seem to eat up my store credits with brake line and fittings, F-ing road salt)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been reading this thread and might have found something. you tell us that the idle will not set any lower. What might be an issue causing that it the tps was not installed correctly. Easy way to check this is to remove the tps from the injection pump. See if the throttle resets to the screw stop. If so then the tps has been holding the throttle off idle settings. There is a wrong and a right way to set the tps to the throttle shaft fitting. Also that fitting has a right and wrong way to attach to the throttle shaft. Hopefully someone can post up a pic of this. The fitting has to have one of the allen set screws in the shaft drilled hole. I don't recall which one that is without removing mine. As I recall the tps actually has to be wound up on the shaft fitting so it will go thru the complete wot position. Most of the time if its not installed correctly when you push the throttle to the floor with a foot it breaks the tps. But if the shaft fitting is installed incorrectly you might have issues like off idle settings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online