DRW to SRW questions

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be picking up a SRW parts truck with 3.55 gears and I have been giving some thought to converting to SRW, My question is how can I continue to use DRW rims? I like the look of the front rims and think that look would look good on the back. Has any body done this? And what kind of off set spacer would I use?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its been done some of the railroad trucks were setup like this spacer would need to be really big though

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why cant you use the same spacer the front uses on the rear? If I remember right, on my 84 dually the front spacer was a bolt on...add the same spacer to the rear? not sure if that applies to your aplication.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why cant you use the same spacer the front uses on the rear? If I remember right, on my 84 dually the front spacer was a bolt on...add the same spacer to the rear? not sure if that applies to your aplication.

Thanks, it had crossed my mind that that might work. I'll do some measuring.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested in more about what you end up doing and how you end up doing it, since I have a DRW on my 89 F350 4x4 and would like to maybe have the ability to run single rear wheels, and without getting into the side loads on the axle bearings that'd occur if I just bolt the outer RWs in place without inners.

In my case, at least as far as I can tell, the front DRW's axle has the "spacer" as a direct part of the 4wd hub- and I don't know (but would like to find out) whether the spacers that might have been used for non-4WD duallies would fit over the axle center on a 10.25 Ford rear axle.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2wd dually trucks do not use spacers in the front, they have different hubs that allow for the offset wheels. The 4x4 dually trucks can be had both ways - some had single front hubs and then hub extenders bolted to them, and others have dually-specific front hubs similar to those on the 2wd trucks.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2wd dually trucks do not use spacers in the front, they have different hubs that allow for the offset wheels. The 4x4 dually trucks can be had both ways - some had single front hubs and then hub extenders bolted to them, and others have dually-specific front hubs similar to those on the 2wd trucks.

Do you know if the hub extenders have an inside diameter that'd fit over the diameter of the back axle center?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue on that, someone with an actual 4x4 dually with extenders will have to take some measurements for ya...