Driving lesson #1.....

Talltimber

Reaction score
Duplex

I think, from what I have heard, the duplex is MUCH easier to two hand. Especially since you don't have any gate to fight through...just back and forth ONLY!![/QUOTE]
My duplex did have a gated shift pattern. The brownie was on the left side, as opposed to normal right side mount. Both the main (5sp) and the aux (4 sp) were were standard shift patterns. What makes it so smooth is that the brownie and main box are married in the same case (no long linkage's for the brownie). It is a very precise shift pattern, with virtully no slop and probably the best shifting 5 x 4 I have ever driven. Not to mention the fact it is tough as nails. Thats a good looking B model you got, you ought to stick about a 500 horse Cat or Cummins in it and watch the boys jaws drop as you go by thier late models. :rotflmao :rotflmao

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
FYI: a Duplex is a 10 spd twin stick, so the compound is no-gate, only up/down(hi-lo). The triplex is 15 spd, Quad is 18 or 20 spd. Both of those have a gated compound(meaning lo-di-hi, in a H pattern).

If you don't have to worry about moving thru a gate, then two handing them is a bit easier. I've tried it a few times,,,,but definitely not as graceful at it!

I've been putting thoughts of more HP, but with the little hood there is no room for much more than a 300 Mack 2 valve motor. If it were a B7? series, then it would have the big aluminum grille and room for anything. It will run 65 all day, but a bit slow on bigger hills. If a line driver is stuck at 62 mph....I will PASS THEM!!! ;p

Last edited:

Talltimber

Reaction score
Freightrain said:
FYI: a Duplex is a 10 spd twin stick, so the compound is no-gate, only up/down(hi-lo). The triplex is 15 spd, Quad is 18 or 20 spd. Both of those have a gated compound(meaning lo-di-hi, in a H pattern).

Your absolutly correct. I only hauled logs with that truck for 5 years, and yes it was a quadraplex (5x4) for some reason I had duplex on the brain and have drivern several. I guess what they say about old age is true. I know there isn't much room up front, but it sure would be fun.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Hey Freightrain. When can we expect to see 'Driving Lesson #2'?

I have no way to upload video, or I'd show you how a yard rat grinds through 3 or 4 gears, getting a trailer indoors. LOL

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Well, not really sure. Not much else to show,really. I thought about putting the camera in my drag car and do a video ;)

Ya, it's a stick shift too!! (only ONE handle though).

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
I'd hate to have grown up in that household, when dad kick's your butt with that left leg, he'll plant ya out to outerspace!!!

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Too bad I couldn't get it out of show to go for a spin......LOL!!
They really frown upon moving them around during the day. Too much activity, people around....

BigStroker

Koolege Stoodent
Reaction score
Freightrain said:
Too bad I couldn't get it out of show to go for a spin......LOL!!
They really frown upon moving them around during the day. Too much activity, people around....
Yeah I wanted to ask you if we could go for a ride but I decided against it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7