Driving lesson #1.....

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Dayum, more gladhanding there, than the highrollers tables in Vegas. LOL

Looks like the old B still has the stuff to get the job done. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine had a Canadian Kenworth, with a Big Cam/twin stick. Our dispatcher told me he spent most of a day, with a torch, working the swizzle sticks, until he could work them both, without letting go of either one. :confused:

Some day, I need to finish my 66 C-60 wrecker. I have a brownie overdrive, to slip in there somewhere.

Is a 5x2x2 close enough?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
That's incredible man. I only heard it grind twice & didn't see the clutch foot doin' a whole lot. I'll bet that can make for a LONGGGGG day in heavy traffic. Sometimes I can't shift a 13 Eaton as well as you work that beast :hail :hail :hail

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Ya, I'll let it clang a couple times a day just to remind me I'm not using the clutch.....LOL!!!!! Can't be perfect ALL the time.
I try using both hands sometimes...but that takes even more finesse...and it ain't really necessary.

Come on guys...get the camcorder out and show me your talent!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The only thing with two sticks I ever drove was an old IH loadstar. It had a 5 and a 3 behind the little 345 gas engine, I never had to let off the go peddle because by the time I got it out of gear and back in I lost so much speed I didn't need to lower the rpm's... looks like ya got a fun truck to drive there and do a nice job of it as well.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Freightrain said:
Come on guys...get the camcorder out and show me your talent!

Sorry chief, I only travel around the yard. Most of the time I only get 3-4-5, and hardly ever split.

I was hoping to have a split-able trans, when I put the auxiliary o/d in the ramp truck. Turns out it is 30% over, so 2nd O, is less than 500 rpm from 3rd D. Oh well, works good down the road, just having one more gear.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Watching a video of me would look like this
:peelout :peelout :peelout grind :peelout :peelout grind :peelout :peelout :peelout Grind :peelout :peelout & repeat

Thats about it minus the peelout marks.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Lessons?? Hey, no problem!

As for gindin' a few........been there too cookoo
On rough roads it's really tough to make them look that smooth. With me bounc'n up and down, the throttle is bouncin up and down and you're trying to match rpm and road speed............ :eek: . Usually not too smooth without using the clutch sometimes. If you look/watch video closely I pause shifting until AFTER I hit any bumps. Then I'm smooth as a Rolex. Hit a bump and things go awry :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Talltimber

Reaction score
mjstef said:
Yup!! Thats what i learned on!! B75, Mack, 711 engine, quadruplex trans :thumbsup:

that quadruplex was one of the smoothest 5 & 4's on the road, having the brownie on the left side was great. had one in a rl700l mack logger with a 335 (and yea you spent most of your time shifting the brownie), mack boggies for rearends. damn near bullet proof :draw. however the triplex even though smooth was a handfull for single handed use (not sure it could be done, i know i couldn't). clutch, i thought that was to get you rollin, you mean some use it for shifting, i'll be damned!!!!!

mocetane

Reaction score
Sign me up.
I gotta have me one of them!!!
That was awesome. Thanks.
I really do want a B-Model. They have always been my all time favorite. :hail
10 years ago a guy here had one with alum. 10 hole Budds. Dump body. Really looked nice.
Clean working truck until he stuffed it into a ditch while taking a curve too fast. :idiot: Totaled.
Made me sick. :puke:

Last edited:

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
"however the triplex even though smooth was a handfull for single handed use (not sure it could be done, i know i couldn't). "

That is what is in my B. Single overdrive Triplex. It could be two handed, but it's tough. I think, from what I have heard, the duplex is MUCH easier to two hand. Especially since you don't have any gate to fight through...just back and forth ONLY!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7