Drivetrain Questions

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, Thanks all the help you've given so far! I've got another question for ya though. I have been hearing a noise from under the truck - sometimes it sounds like its coming from the rear, and other times it sounds like its coming from right under the cab. The noise sounds like a clicking that usually happens around 25mph. Like two pebbles being clicked together. It comes and goes but recently has gotten a lot worse.

My friend and I put the back end of the truck up so we can turn the rear wheels. She started it and put it in gear while I listened for the noise. It does it in reverse also. While I was under the truck I put my automotive stethoscope on the transfer case, the transmission, the differential, near the bearings and couldn't pin point it anywhere. The only thing I could find is a slightly lose U joint that might be the problem but I was wondering if you guys have any other ideas on what it might be.

Also, the truck has had 4 inch lift for about a year but we recently replaced the old, broken and sagging leaf springs with some new 7 leaf leaf springs which brought the back of the truck up a little. While under the truck, I saw that my drive shaft was coming out of the transfer case quite a bit. turns out the transfer case was super low on fluid because the drive shaft is too short, but unfortunately filling up the transfer case did not fix the noise. I added a picture of my drive shaft --- is this too short? do I need to replace the whole drive shaft with a longer one or can I get a a longer yoke? Also, Ive read a little about the proper angle of the differential so there is less strain on the drive shaft. How do you adjust this angle and can this make my drive shaft work?

Sorry about all the long questions, I really do appreciate all the help.
You must be registered for see images attach

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-joints should have no play in them, replace the one that is toast.
As for the driveshaft, its too short, they like to have 1-2" of yoke sticking out max, you'll have to get one probably around 3" longer.
Also the bushing in the tail housing of the tcase is more then likely shot now as the yoke has probably been mostly running on the out portion of it instead of fully engaged. To check this try wiggling the yoke in the tcase, should have max a tiny amout of play to nothing at all.

For drive line angle you'll need tapered shims that go between the axle and leafs to make the pinion stick up higher hence reducing the angle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That picture of the yoke shows the transfer case seal has come out of the case and its not in the bushing properly. Did you do the 4 inch lift of have someone do it for you. The shaft should have been lengthened with the lift.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I have to get a new drive shaft with new u joints. As for the tail housing bushing, there is too much play when I shake the driveshaft would the driveshaft being too short cause the play or is the bearing shot like you said?

I put on the lift... when I called rough country they said the driveshaft would be ok if I didn't go any higher than the block they gave me, which I didn't.

Thanks so much again for all the help. This is the only place I can find good information up here. When I was fixing my fuel problem, every diesel mechanic I went to told me to "check the computer"

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only has the seal pulled out, but the tail shaft has also pulled out of the support bushing. Fix it before ya wreck the transfer case. I appears you have the slip spline type TC. That shaft will wobble and wreck the inside, maybe that's where the click is coming from. That's where your lube oil went out.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I figured that's where the oil was coming from but I didn't know it was leaking that much.

so I need a longer driveshaft with new u joints, a transfer case tail bushing, but as for the diff angle, how does this look? Which one of these angles am I looking for?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pinion angle is way out, I'm not sure what degree shims you need, I would measure the angle your at right now and see if theres a conversion chart online.

Grab a shot of the transfer case end also so we can see how bad it's at also

Keep in mined the higher the angle the more wear to the u-joints and you really want them straight to limit the velocity and acceleration fluctuations that extreme angles introduce.

Just for reference, here's the angle on my truck and as you can see with the yoke beside the t-case, it's far enough in to be fully engaged with the bushing, just bearly though, I need a 2" extention but this will work for what i'm doing till I do some random future mod

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone - sorry for how long it took to get back to you, but here are those pics you requested - how does the angle look? I found a place nearby that would have a 5 and a half inch block with a 6 degree spacer... would that work to get the right angle and replace the two blocks I have already?
Thanks again!

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That angle looks not bad, but your slip yoke is way to far out, you'll still have to get a longer drive shaft, as for the block, you probably need either a 3 degree or maybe 6 degree shim, I cant tell you for sure but a driveline shop with those pictures you took should be able to set you up.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the diagram of the cv joint in the driveline. Would that solve the angle and length issue if it were added?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online