Driveshaft question...

discbrks

Reaction score
My truck (in my sig.) currently has a one piece driveshaft with the E4OD. My parts truck, which is an extended cab, has a 2 piece with the ZF-5. So, I'll need a new driveshaft when I install the ZF in my truck. But I searched on car-part.com, and it looks like all trucks (even regular cabs) with a ZF had a 2 piece driveshaft. Can anyone verify this? If so, why can't I get a new, one piece shaft made and do away with the carrier bearing?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A longer drive shaft wont have the torque that a short one has. You are better off with a 2 piece shaft. It also will help on the angles. The deeper the angle the shorter life in the joints.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Have you priced a custom driveshaft recently? I just had 2 of the things made for my truck for my auxiliary tranny installation and I spent over $1200 . The long ones are the killers since they have to make them out of heavier tubing to make them single piece. If you can find a used shaft to pop in there and just throw some new joints on it, do it.

discbrks

Reaction score
Well, I guess what I'm asking is: is a reg cab, 2wd, ZF trans. truck supposed to have a 1 piece or 2 piece shaft? As far as having a custom one made: I've had a few made in the past (including aluminum) and it was never close to $1200...., but I would take an old one in & they would canabalize the ends. I bet the ends are the expensive part.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I guess what I'm asking is: is a reg cab, 2wd, ZF trans. truck supposed to have a 1 piece or 2 piece shaft? As far as having a custom one made: I've had a few made in the past (including aluminum) and it was never close to $1200...., but I would take an old one in & they would canabalize the ends. I bet the ends are the expensive part.

Yup.. if you can have them modify what you already have it cuts the price a bunch. THose slip yokes are bad expensive. Wether or not it takes a one or two piece is dependent on the length. They origanlly told me 70" max for a single piece shaft, then failed to tell me that was for car shafts , when i brought the works in to have it made up, but he was more concerned about the front ujoint being the weak link and he was used to these modern high HP diesels, anyway, he made up a 68" single shaft and built the thing like it was made for a class 8 semi truck. Theres no way I'm going to twist that sucker out of there. I could barely lift the thing :rotflmao

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about having an aluminum one made for my truck, less weight=more power to wheels, possibly better fuel mileage LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online