drive shaft support bearing?

pat_da_man

PatMan
Reaction score
well my truck has been making some strange noises lately. Was thinking it was a u-joint but apon inspection it would seem that it is what is called a drive shaft support bearing. drive shaft is rubbing against the metal how hard is it to replace this? anyone know what it might cost?
thanks
Patrick

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the bearing is pressed onto the shaft.you need to have it pressed off and the new one pressed on and to do the job properly the driveshaft needs to be balanced.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Little trick on those things. Next time, before it starts talking to you too loud, get a grease needle and some good synthetic grease, and work the needle in around the edge of the rubber seal on the bearing and you can grease the things and they'll last an insanely long time.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
why in the heck would you need the drive shaft balanced after replacing the carrier bearing? And you can replace them with out a press I use a cut off wheel on a die grinder and cut across at an angle to get as close to the edge as possible with out cutting the driveshaft. You don't have to cut it all the way thrujust score it real good and then you can break them loose with a good chisel seeing as how they are hardened and under tension they usually snap pretty easy after being scored. Then the new one is as simple as dring it on

7.3shrk

I used to work in a shop, and we used to press them off and on without doing the balance. Of course the balance would help, but then you are looking at replacing the joints as well (we replaced the joints most of the time before balancing)...and we usually would find other problems as well, which would lead into a $300 or more shaft. Try the center bearing at home first.

suv7734

Reaction score
Balancing is not necessary since the carrier bearing is not part of the rotating mass. A press certainly makes it easier but as mentioned it can be done in the driveway without too much trouble.
Where are you in Vancouver? I'm on the south side of the river.

rickrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used a cutting torch, then chisel it off. Also, you can use a hammer and a punch to drive the new one on. If you can find a small section of pipe to put on (big enough to fit over the shaft but rests on the bearing itself) you can drive it on that way as well. They can be difficult.

pat_da_man

PatMan
Reaction score
well i just got my truck back cost me 350 taxes the part was just under 1004 was quoted 250$ originnally for the whole job but the had a great struggle with the drive shaft slip yolk so it cost me a little extra. havent really driven it around much yet but the noise is definitly gone. cant complain about the service from the shop i went to. they were quite polite. even pointed out my clutch sucks. but i already knew that

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...And you can replace them with out a press I use a cut off wheel on a die grinder and cut across at an angle to get as close to the edge as possible with out cutting the driveshaft...
Exactly...and to install I use a length of pipe that just fits the bearing's inside race > tap-tap-tap done!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little trick on those things. Next time, before it starts talking to you too loud, get a grease needle and some good synthetic grease, and work the needle in around the edge of the rubber seal on the bearing and you can grease the things and they'll last an insanely long time.
I've never tried this, but next time I'm under there you can bet I will ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why in the heck would you need the drive shaft balanced after replacing the carrier bearing? And you can replace them with out a press I use a cut off wheel on a die grinder and cut across at an angle to get as close to the edge as possible with out cutting the driveshaft. You don't have to cut it all the way thrujust score it real good and then you can break them loose with a good chisel seeing as how they are hardened and under tension they usually snap pretty easy after being scored. Then the new one is as simple as dring it on

This is the way I do them, using a section of pipe as a driver.

A sure symptom of the carrier going bad is a burning rubber smell after a long drive; this is caused by the bearing siezing and spinning the whole thing inside it's rubber mount.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7