Drive shaft center support bearing

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rear u-joint is bad on the rear driveshaft. I am going to replace all three and was planing on replacing the center support bearing (supercab 4x4) while it is apart as it has a little play in it. I was just wondering if there are any tricks to getting it off and then back on or do I need to take it to a shop to get it press fitted?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a piece of tape, tape it in a straight line from one shaft to other...spray bomb it along the line...

When assembling re-align those marks and hopefully drivdhaft will be in balance...

I can say what I mean but not got two peice shaft to show with sorry....but works well...

most likely need BIG puller or some heat or a shop to do the bearing..I can do it now but when I couldn't I paid a shop to do it 20 bucks well spent...

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a piece of tape, tape it in a straight line from one shaft to other...spray bomb it along the line...

When assembling re-align those marks and hopefully drivdhaft will be in balance...

I can say what I mean but not got two peice shaft to show with sorry....but works well...

most likely need BIG puller or some heat or a shop to do the bearing..I can do it now but when I couldn't I paid a shop to do it 20 bucks well spent...

I got the balancing marks, thanks. Found a shop, highly recommended, to do it for $35. Will do it in the morning.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad your having a trusted shop do this. Without the proper tools this can be a messed up job with plenty ways to go bad quickly. Worst case is you reinstall it and there is a balance issue. I know of a goober who "thought" no big deal. He was going to do his back u joint on a 70 bronco. Well he wanted me to go for a test drive because it felt "different".. Well it sure as hell was different. That thing vibrated so bad I almost got off riding in the front seat....:eek::angel: Turns out he did not seat the rear joint in the differential yoke. I fixed that for him..

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
The shaft should be balanced individually is my understanding, and I've always had them do it that way when I've had shafts made. I'm a bit OCD these days and put them back how I found them, but also strip and paint them. In any event, I've never had vibration issues installing them opposite how they came apart or mixing and matching shafts.

Did my rear shaft this week. I cut the old carrier bearing off. Cutoff wheel most of it and chisel and 4 lbs hammer to break it, then tap it off with the chisel. This one sucked to do, often times they'll come off each with a little heat and an air chisel and just walks off. Not this time for me, but I always try that first. Other methods include a bearing plate/clamp for removing bearings in a press. My press won't fit a driveshaft, but I've used the bearing puller clamp before and either been able to brace that and tap the shaft out with a hammer and punch or block of wood or with a piece of angle or square tubing with holes and bolts to hold the end of the shaft and pull the bearing off. Air chisel and if that fails cutoff wheel is pretty much quickest for me though.

To install the new you need a piece of pipe or tuning that fits around the shaft tightly enough to only touch the inside race of the bearing, do not pound on the outer race or you'll damage the bearing. Just tap it on. If you don't have that handy you can use an appropriate sized punch or small drift and work your way around the bearing, hitting only the inner race.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and had the shop press the old one off and new one on. Glad I did as Napa listed the wrong bearing so the shop had the right one on hand and put it on. Install was $35, bearing from the shop was only $10 more than the wrong one from Napa. Its done and working great!!!!!! Returned the wrong one to Napa.

The reason I even messed with it was the rear u-joint had dried out and was clunking really bad. 3 u-joints, carrier bearing and shop labor worked out to about $166. A nice easy pace to do it, total time working about 4 hours (u-joints were stuck pretty bad so I rented a ball joint press, $0 for loaner)