Drive shaft center support bearing

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a clunking sound for awhile. Finally got under the truck and found the center drive shaft support/carrier bearing assembly worn out. I found them, but I need to know which drive shaft it has: Spicer 1310/1330 Series (1.378 Inch/35mm Inside Diameter, Slip Yoke Style) or Spicer 1410 Series (Inside Diameter: 1.5748 Inch). any way to tell w/o pulling it 1st?

Any preferences on brands?

I haven't dealt with drive lines much and I am not sure. Seems like a pretty straight forward fix, I just need to get parts 1st if I can so I can do the work w/o much delay.

I figure I should do U-joints as well, but we will see what is in the budget.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ifn there is a way to tell..that should be a sticky in the tech section! I'll be watching this thread!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably the 5.1.. that's what my supercab is. I keep blowing mine out because I haven't adjusted the bearing height for the added lift. Mines actually sitting in the driveway with the bushing completely gone. I only noticed it because of the rubber dangling hanging under the truck.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my hanger bearing about 2 weeks ago. I measured the shaft right behind (towards the rearend) the hanger bearing, the shaft measured something under the 1.5" dia.
Got the smaller size (I think was 1.3 or so) when I got it all apart, surprise the bearing rides on a shaft that's 1.5 size.
Not sure on types of driveshaft or model number, just thought I'd throw it in.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
how much movement up-down/side-side should the center bearing have? today i noticed mine moves quite a bit but i don't know if it is to much.

I don't think it should have ANY. Mine is old and tired, and beat to s#!t. (much like my truck) However, it has no play. So it's still up there.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. I just might have to measure like Brad S. and hope i don't have to make to many trips.

Any preferences/warnings about the brand of bearing? There are several listed at the parts stores websites

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can tell you on 1/2 ton models is the smaller one.

While getting parts to move on the the sterling 10.25 i had to get larger to replace all my stuff.

Using that logic, and my limited remembrance of part numbers and sizes, your going to want the 1.5ish inch one.

the spicer 1310/1330 for sure is the 1/2 ton shaft, bought ALOT of Ujoints for mine over the years.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found out a friend has a digital caliper. We will probably get together next week to measure it. I will try to get back on here then and let you know what we find.