Door Hinge Pins

kawa

Reaction score
Anyone have experience in replacing the hinge pins in the door hinges?? Need some tips on how to get the old pins out as well as anything that will keep me out of trouble.

I have the Napa repair kits.

Any help is always appreciated.

Rog

fuurgoncin

Reaction score
You have to replace the entire hinge . . . go to a Junkyard and pull some off. I never had any luck with the repair kits. The doors are just to heavy.

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Repair kits have always worked fine for me.
Use a jack under the outer edge (where the strike is) with the door fully open to support the door when you drive the pin out.
Drive the pin out and I had to make several cuts across the top of the bronze bushings (shoulder, you'll see) with a small dremel type tool with a cut off wheel, then drive the bushings out in pieces. Replace new bushings, then drive in new pins.
If you have several to do they get easier as you go along.
;Sweet

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Autozone, sorry I can't find the part number, I don't think I kept it.
It's one of their 'HELP' products.

fuurgoncin

Reaction score
We don't have Autozone in Ontario .We have something similar in Canadian Tire / Parts Source . . . I'll check there . . . thanks

kawa

Reaction score
I just went into Napa auto parts and ask for a hinge repair kit for a '97PSD and I walked out with two (2) in hand at $5.00 a copy.

They are a piece if cake to install. The kit contains 2 bronze bushings an "E" clip and a pin with two (2) groves for the "E" clip depending on the height of the hinge.

I took a dremal tool and ground off the top of the OEM pin, then took a long sender punch and drove the pin out.

Now is the time to have a helper. I placed a bench beneath the door and built it up with moving blankets. Have the helper start lowering and moving the door away from the other part of the hinge. (Hopefully you have removed the punch)

On the DOOR SIDE ONLY scribe around the that part of the hinge so you can replace it exactly where it was originally. remove the two 12mm bolts and you now have the inner part of the hinge in your hand and it contains the bushings.

Carefully drive out the bushings, take the new bushings, I found it helpful to put a slight taper on the edge of the bushing, it just starts better.

Drive/press the bushings into the hinge, now, make sure that the pin slides in smoothly. If it does, replace the hinge on the door, Aline the two parts of the hinge up and slide the pin into place. The pin needs to be driven approximately 1/4" into the hinge to seat it.

Slide the "E" clip on after picking it up from the floor several times LOL and viola. Your done.

I only changed the top drivers door pin as it was the only one that sagged.

Rog

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I ground the heads off and drove the old pins out. I took the door totally off so that I didn't have to unbolt the hinges. Worked great for me.

sassyrel

Reaction score
you guys sure make it hard. grind off the top of the old pins, (however.) then put a floor jack, one that rolls!!!!!!!! under the door. put a 2x8 or similiar on the jack pad---jack up to the bottom of door. have helper close. now drive BOTH pins out. when out, you and helper roll door away from hinge. while helper is HOLDING door, put the new bushings in. and oil them before you roll the door back together!!!!!! then drive the new pins in, and put on c clip---done many while working at ford garage, and this is easiest--

kawa

Reaction score
All great and different ideas and they seem to all work. That is what makes horse racing.

Thanks to all who took the time to inform us all of your favorite methods. :hail

Rog :peelout

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Sassy,
Your method sounds great, IF you have help, which a lot of us do not. ;)

sassyrel

Reaction score
jim--anyone over a kid will do--they only need to keep the door balanced---

waynebo

Reaction score
I have changed a ton of them..use a A-frame or even a big tree branch with a come-along and lift the door with a strap,with the window down..put the strap around the top of the door and it want scratch you paint..Just get the weight neutral and go to work,,piece of cake...wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online