Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
ON A SIDE NOTE,.

As I stated before, My buddy Bill id doing a frame off restoration of an Early Bronco (1966 to 1977) with a 4bt Cummins. Well yesterday I was able to go see his project since his shop is only about 2 miles from mine.

Well the motor is in and he heard it run for the first time on Saturday night.

Here are some pics of his project. Enjoy:

You must be registered for see images

He is going to do a build thread once it is completed, This will be a Sweet Ride when he is done!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like I get in over my head or it takes way too long to get these done but it is worth it in the end..Big Ed STILL makes me giggle like a little school girl whenever I drive it,.
You know, comments like that are doing absolutely nothing to assist my sense of fiscal responsibility when it comes to the need vs want factor in me trying to decide if I should put a 6BT in my truck. LOL

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again...it looks sweet!! Almost there ;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You know, comments like that are doing absolutely nothing to assist my sense of fiscal responsibility when it comes to the need vs want factor in me trying to decide if I should put a 6BT in my truck. LOL

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again...it looks sweet!! Almost there ;Sweet

Thanks Warden!,.. I say go for it, just take your time ant wait till you find the right deal.

Progress Today:

Got the Power Steering Cooler installed, the lines are bled out and the power steering works! ;Sweet

Then I didnt like how this heater hose was sitting,..:It will start to kink, or chafe on the motor hook.

So I put this splint on to clear the motor hook. I got thie piece from the factory wire harness while tearing it out.

Speaking of wires, Here is what I didn't need,..

I also got the clutch bled and was able to move Droopy under its own power!

Were getting there,...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Darrin,

What all did those wires goto???? I know you went from and EFI Gasser to a 4bt.... but WOW!!!! that is alot of wiring.....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Darrin,

What all did those wires goto???? I know you went from and EFI Gasser to a 4bt.... but WOW!!!! that is alot of wiring.....

No doubt that is a lot of wires, all engine harness wiring.

The only wires that I needed were

12V Ignition to activate the pump.
Stock Oil Pressure Sender
Stock Water Temp

So now I have a computer sitting in there just to run a check engine light.

Some of the rest of the wires were fuel injection, 02 sensors, temp switch, relays, 3 fuel pumps, ...hell I really don't know, just picked what I needed and cut the rest!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Not a lot of updates yet, I got into the back brakes yesterday morning, just had some rust build up from sitting on the inside of the drums, got that taken care of, now I need emergency brake cables. Ill get that done tomorrow.

Then on Saturday hope to have it up on the lift to do the exhaust, and front brake lines. Then it will be on the road!

Stay tuned,...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The truck is on the lift today, getting new front brake lines, new parking brake cables, and exhaust. If all goes well I will be driving it home today!

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet!:D;Sweet
glad to hear you finally got her running. its just a great feeling when youve been working on something and.. it workss!
as always greatt work:thumbsup:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks! ;Sweet Feels great to have it done and driving it!

Ok, first, What got done today:

Exhaust: A couple of years ago I installed 3" single to a single in dual out 3" muffler Tailpipe exhaust system, It sounded great with the 5.0 and I wanted to reuse the tailpipes with the Cummins:

Muffler:

3" Over the axle Tailpipes:

Out to the bumper:

So, Bob and I removed the Muffler and saved the tailpipes. With the use of Band Clamps we installed the 4" single in, to 3" dual out "Y" pipe:

And a Short 4" Exhaust pipe:

So the exhaust comes off the turbo to 3.5" Stainless Flex Pipe, to 4" Exhaust to dual 3" Tail pipes out the back.

I am real happy how it turned out, Sounds great out back, no restriction and pretty quiet in the cab.

Other things that we got done today:

New Front Brakes.
New front Brake Lines
New Parking Brake Cables
Bleed the clutch and brakes.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Now,..the first drive impressions,. It is Noisy, Torquey, Smokey, Rattly, Stinky, ,..and I love it! :D

I pulled it out of the shop, and drove it around the block (2.7 miles) for its maiden voyage.

The power felt great, I was just giving about 1/2 throttle taking it easy for a first shakedown run. when I got on it, it EASILY Pegged the 30 PSI Boost Gauge, and there was a LOT of smoke out the back on acceleration. Too much for a driver. So I got it back to the shop, and decided to back off the fuel screw. So I gave it about 2 turns out and took it out again, It was MUCH better, It will kick out some black smoke on first take off but then the turbo catches up and clears it up nicely.

Way more power than the 5.0!

So back to the shop to get it ready to drive to my buddy Bill's (He is doing the 4bt bronco) to give him a ride. We took off around the block again, then on the way back to his house, bout 1/2 mile we noticed that we dropped a cylinder.

Got back to his house popped the hood and saw fuel spraying from the back of the injection pump,...Line was loose! Tightened it up and it was good to go!

Then it was off to the Gas Station to fill it up and try out my fuel neck mods. Well it worked, sortof,.. till it filled up, then it sprayed out of the top of the tank somewhere, Looks like I have a leak up there and will have to drop the tank again,..:rolleyes:

Then I hit the highway for the first time, It pulled hard all the way up to 70 MPH and cruised along great! It is about a 17 mile trip home wit no further problems.

So now well see how it starts up in the morning but so far so prettygood!

More pics and videos will be coming up in the next few days. Not I gotta get the plow on and make sure it is ready to go. Figure well be getting snow sometime!

So thanks to all for watching and commenting on the build. I appreciate all of the comments and feel great about getting it done and on the road!

I think Its kinda cool to have a F350 with a 6bt, and a F250 with a 4bt. :D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
how well dose that flexpipe hold up on the exhaust?
needing to redo my exhaust.

It is Stainless Steel from a Semi Truck Parts shop. When I did my 6BT Cummins Converson on Big Ed back in 08, I used the same stuff as a temporary measure until I had a downpipe made,..well 3 years later it is still on there and will not be replaced anytime soon. Figure if they are good enough for million Mile Semi Trucks, they should be fine for me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online